PDA

View Full Version : Conversion to wire wheels

j daniel floyd
09-04-2004, 01:35 PM
I have a 1967 TR4A solid axle that I want to convert to wires from steel wheels. It looks like Dayton from the Roadster Factory is the way to go. I would appreciate input from anyone who discourage the conversion to wires. Though I've owned 4 TR's over the years I've never had the experience of wires.

Many thanks!

Bruce Bowker
09-04-2004, 02:19 PM
I think these cars look far far better with wires. Not sure about what it takes for a conversion and the wires are harder to clean. For me, as I said, sports cars from this era just look "right" with wires. Only other option I would possibly think about would be Minilites which are also period wheels and look pretty cool.

Bruce

sammyb
09-04-2004, 04:54 PM
The downsides of wires are limited tire choice, tough to clean, and very few experts to true them to keep them perfectly round.

The upsides are: nicer looks, stronger than standard steel disc wheels and higher resale value (but if you're spending $1500 to put them on, then it's a wash!)

As for the change, it's actually very easy.

You'll just need a conversion kit, which contains 4 wire wheel adapters (which just bolt to the hub,) knock-offs and sometimes it will contain (depending on vendor) new/shorter wheel studs. If it doesn't, you'll just need to saw your current wheel studs down by 9mm (according to Bill Piggott) to clear the wheels. You'll also need new 11/16th in bolts to secure the wire wheel adapters to the hubs.

Or you can simply use 9mm spacers between the drum/disk and wheel adapter.

That's it!

j daniel floyd
09-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Many thanks for a comprehensive response. This is of tremendous help to me.

j daniel floyd
09-05-2004, 12:04 PM
thanks bruce - i concur.

must be great to have these cars in bonnaire. i just spent 8 days in curacao - wonderful part of the world.

Bruce Bowker
09-05-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks bruce - i concur.

must be great to have these cars in bonnaire. i just spent 8 days in curacao - wonderful part of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

My cars are actually in New Jersey. I am on Bonaire though.
Bruce

Simon TR4a
09-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Excellent response from Sam, and Bruce.
I can only add that my TR4a came with wires which I had trued and repainted when I bought the car.
I later purchased another set, 72 spoke instead of 60, and 5.5" width instead of 4.5". These are now 5 years old and have been used for several trips plus track days without requiring any maintenance. They are made in India to the original Dunlop design and are available through Moss and likely the other main suppliers. I prefer these to Dayton or other makes for appearance reasons.
Final word, just my opinion, wires look best painted, the chromed look is like costume jewellry, too flashy!
That should get a discussion going!
Simon.