PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A Clutch Question

Stinger
08-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Ive awaken a TR4A that had been sleeping for about 6 years and have replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders. Bled the system and have about an inch movement of the clutch lever. If I put the transmission in neutral it rolls fine but if I put it in gear I cant get the clutch to disengage. Whats up???

TR4nut
08-23-2009, 10:42 AM
My bet is the clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel. Put on the emergency brake, depress the clutch, put it in a gear, and try to start the car. Hopefully should break free. Just be careful, the car will try to move as long as its stuck.

KVH
08-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Bled the system and have about an inch movement of the clutch lever.

There should not be an inch of movement in the clutch lever after your slave cylinder is bled and adjusted. Comment above re something stuck may be correct. But check this, too:

Your slave cylinder bracket should be on the forward side of the transmission bracket. The slave cylinder rod should usually be attached through the middle hole of the clutch lever. You should've loosened the locknut and unscrewed the rod until all clearance between the rod and the internal piston was taken up. Then back out .1 inches for clearance. If you did that and the clutch lever is wagging around an inch, that would be odd.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Stinger
08-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I tried to start the TR4A in gear about eight times and its still stuck, so I just moved on to replacing my rear brake rubber hoses. Once I have brakes,do you think running it around in second or third will help release it? I checked the clutch leaver movement again and it actually moves about 1/2". I also rechecked the slave cylinder and it is mounted on the rear side of the mounting plate just like the old one I removed. It looks like if I move it to the front side of the mounting plate I wont have enough adjustment left on the threaded rod. Did they ever change the mounting position of the slave cylinder on the TR4A's? Mine is a 67. Thanks

TR3driver
08-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Did they ever change the mounting position of the slave cylinder on the TR4A's? I don't believe so. The important thing is that you have no more than 0.1" of free play, with the slave piston bottomed in the bore. If you can achieve that, then the position of the slave really doesn't matter.

3798j
08-23-2009, 07:32 PM
I was able to un-stick the clutch plate from the flywheel by having someone in the car depressing the clutch pedal to the floor (with the transmission in 4th gear) while I grabbed a rear wheel and rocked the car back and forth. It released giving a muted bang sound.

KVH
08-23-2009, 07:55 PM
When I once accidentally mounted my slave cylinder to the rear, I had a trouble. Are you sure you can't move it to the front, put the forked push rod in the correct lever hole, and get that play down to .1 inches?

That piston can't be fully "out" when you adjust. The return spring, which should be in place, and the process of unscrewing the push rod are to assure that the piston has plenty of travel to move that lever arm on the transmission when the clutch pedal is depressed.

The piston can't already be pushed up to the internal circlip. Also, be sure you installed the piston and internal spring correctly.

I'm not saying the problem isn't a stuck clutch, but I've not had that experience.

You'll be driving soon.

sail
08-23-2009, 08:21 PM
As described above adjustment of slave would be first. A stuck pressure plate to the flywheel is not unusual for any car that has been sitting. For mine, I put it in first, started it and took off. On and off the gas a few times and it broke free. Plan your route back home with no stops if that doesn't work, he he.