PDA

View Full Version : Is the Market Really That Bad?

YYCDave
08-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Perusing completed or expired EBay ads I came across these 2:

TR3A: Very nice car SOLD for $517: https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-Triu...d=p4506.c0.m245 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-Triumph-TR3A_W0QQitemZ140340243174QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ca rs_Trucks?hash=item20acee2ae6&_trksid=p4506.c0.m24 5)

TR8: Very nice car NOT SOLD or bid on for $200: https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-TRIU...d=p4506.c0.m245 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-TRIUMPH-TR8-VERY-RARE-LOW-ORIGINAL-MILES_W0QQitemZ180394586853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item2a005af2e5&_trksid=p4506.c0.m2 45)

Or is there something strange going on with EBay?

JodyFKerr
08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
It's the market. I've quit selling stuff on Ebay because the stuff either doesn't sell or sells for such low prices to not make the time spent worth it.

Jody

tdskip
08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Dave - those sellers may have ended the auctions early, so I wouldn't out too much stock in those results.

martx-5
08-22-2009, 12:00 PM
WOW, that TR3 for $517! Must have been the Smurf Blue color. :laugh: What a deal someone got for that. Even if it don't run. I'm about 15 miles away from Selden (if it's Selden, NY) and I don't recognize the car as belonging to anyone in the local Triumph club. I'm surprised that there wasn't a reserve on that. I think he would have gotten alot more if he posted up more pics.

Edit: As far as pulling the car from e-bay, the TR3 shows a <span style="font-weight: bold">winning</span> bid, so I would assume it wasn't pulled.

tdskip
08-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Fair point Art - but I'd bet a sizable amount of money a decent TR3 didn't actually sell for $500. Unless, of course, the soon to be ex-wife listed it....

Geo Hahn
08-22-2009, 02:07 PM
...I'd bet a sizable amount of money a decent TR3 didn't actually sell for $500...

Right. If you look at the bid history there were about 30 bids made taking it above $10K -- all were cancelled, mostly in the final hour of bidding (presumably cancelled by the seller).

The reason 2 bids got through was that they were snipes that got in and before the seller could cancel them the auction ended.

No idea what is going on there unless the seller didn't like the $10K level and was trying to pull the plug. Yes, he could have just ended the auction but he appears to be fairly new to eBay so perhaps he didn't know he could do that.

TR4nut
08-22-2009, 03:40 PM
The market isn't that bad - or maybe just the TR4 guys (other than me!) have a lot of disposeable cash. This turn signal switch on ebay (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=260463855457&amp;ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT) is bidding up pretty high in my opinion, at this price its almost half a smurf blue TR3A!

Randy

HerronScott
08-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Randy,

Wow! I hadn't seen that. I'll admit when I restored my TR4A back in the early 80's I used TR6 black ones for the turn, headlight and overdrive since they were readily available used/NOS at affordable prices (especially to someone who was still in school at the time).

Scott

LBCs_since_1988
08-23-2009, 08:03 AM
It'd be nice if the chrome stalk was available seperately. I've got black ones too 'cause my chrome was in poor shape but the electrics are fine.

08-23-2009, 10:57 PM
I just spent a year closely following eBay. I can GUARANTEE you that this TR did not go for $517. Over the last year, this car would have drawn $20,000. I have an Excel spreadsheet that will support this figure.

I tend to agree with a couple of folks on here. The seller was new, and didn't realize that, without a reserve price, he had to sell it to the highest bidder. I did not follow this auction, as I finally got a car 2 months ago and have quit looking, but I also suspect that the seller panicked when he realized what he had done. Then, he started rejecting the bids (I am not sure, but I suspect that eBay requires a REASON for rejecting a bid). And, again, the last two bids could have been two snipers at the end.

You can bet your bippy that he did not sell this car for $517!!!

LBCs_since_1988
08-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Seems more likely that a scammer got a hold of his password (he's been on eBay since 2001), posted a pic and then emailed the winning bidder to have $517 wired to an overseas account for some quick cash. It happens all the time on eBay with old, stagnant accounts. Throw a pic up of a 2009 Harley with a Buy-it-Now of $1000 and bam! instant cash.

Geo Hahn
08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
It'd be nice if the chrome stalk was available seperately. I've got black ones too...

Justin Wagner has a web site that shows how to convert the black stalk to chrome using modelers' chrome tape.

But even easier was what I did -- the black on the stalk from Moss was just a plastic tube over a shiny steel shaft. I carefully cut and peeled off that black outer layer revealing a very shiny steel stalk. I then clearcoated the steel to preserve the shine. Even now (3 years later) you would have to look very close to see it is not a chrome stalk.

<span style="font-style: italic">Here's that site: https://www.jmwagnersales.com/ltslssr.html</span>

HerronScott
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Geo,

I always thought it would be nice if whatever was under the black plastic would polish up but back then didn't have one that I was willing to destroy to check it out (or have access to a bad one to play with)!

I have saved the document from Justin's website in case I ever decide to go that route as well.

Thanks!

Scott

LBCs_since_1988
08-24-2009, 06:49 PM
That's a great idea. Thanks!!

Tinkerman
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Getting back to the market, what Iv'e noticed over many years of following TR parts on eBay, buying and selling, that the summer driving season is not the time to try to sell TR parts. Occasionally you can pick up some bargains though. I usually wait to sell starting about October because in many cases the club season is over and folks are looking to repair and or upgrade what they have.
Just some random thoughts.

Tinkerman

pjsmetana
08-25-2009, 01:34 PM
The market cant be THAT bad... I mean, the value of my Spitfire has gone up over $1000 in the past 6 months. In fact, I'm pretty sure all the British Roadsters have had some decent appreciation.