PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 wheels - free for the taking

Paul Johnson
09-02-2004, 12:21 PM
I have a set of TR6 wheels with trim rings that are just going to sit. Took them off the car because of out of tolerance runout. Come get them in Dallas, or maybe you're not too far away for a meeting. Otherwise send me about $20 for boxes and packing material and I'll UPS them to you freight collect. They'd be in four boxes at about 25lb each, so you can figure the freight from Dallas on the UPS website. If it's worth it to anyone, I'll be happy to send them out; otherwise, it's the scrapyard.

screenprinter
09-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Paul,

I suggest that you don't hold your breath waiting - I have no way of knowing if you look good in blue - I've been trying to give away a 66 BMW 1800 for a month and no nibbles, not one - Can't even give it away -

You'll probably have better luck though - wheels are a bit easier to move around - Anyway, I salute your generous offer!

Bob M

PC
09-02-2004, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I've been trying to give away a 66 BMW 1800 for a month and no nibbles, not one - Can't even give it away...

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean that commercial where the farmer shows the yuppie guy an old Beamer in his barn and the guy writes him a big check without even looking up close isn't entirely accurate? I'm crushed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

PC.

sammyb
09-02-2004, 02:08 PM
If it's any consolation, if I were close to either of you guys, I'd love both.

If the BMW wouldn't cost more to ship to Olympia, WA than it was worth, I'd definitely take it. What a great little car.

screenprinter
09-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Sammy, If I were a rich man I'd sure ship it to ya - It's only good for parts, but there are a lot of good ( and scarce ) parts on it.

PC - I haven't seen that one yet, but I'd love to and I'll be looking for it.

Paul Johnson
09-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Bob

The 1800 as I recall is a 4 door, and the predecessor to the Bavaria? I remember one of the guys in local SCCA club had one in the late 60s. Quite impressive car.

screenprinter
09-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Paul - I couldn't believe how many guys raced the four door 1800s in the past - We have a guy in Greensboro, Ray Kormann, who runs a speed shop with his brother and he also raced 1800s. apparently they handled well and the engines were about indestructable -

Well, if anybody knows of anybody who wants the body and rolling gear for free, tell em' they can contact me here and come get it - I have the engine and 2 trannies available also, but they'll cost some bucks having been rebuilt with all new components and never reinstalled - Still got em in the garage wrapped in plastic.

jeff3113
09-03-2004, 12:35 AM
In light of this discussion, what is the largest size for us lovers of that look of the oversized tires? IT is sooo cool on the TR(ok, personal opinion). Is it better to get large wheels and low profile tires OR same wheels with larger tires?
I have seen pics, I want that look!!!

many thanks for your inputs.......
Jeff

Paul Johnson
09-03-2004, 01:13 AM
Know Greensboro fairly well. Up until last month, found myself there quarterly visiting the Volvo truck headquarters. There is a nice shop on Market, and a dumpy one somewhere just to the southeast of there, but cannot remember exactly where. Nice town though, and plan to come up before long on a bike trip to ride some of those roads I discovered, especially between Greensboro and Dublin, Va, where the truck assembly plant is. Good luck on the 1800.
(edited only for spelling goof)

screenprinter
09-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Paul,
Foreign Accents is the one on Market - It is a nice shop - I don't know if they still have it there but they had a Austin Super 7(from the 30s?) cutest little thing you ever saw - They said it had a whopping 7 horsepower!

And out back by the service bays one of the mechanics had 4 or five bugeye cadavers in various states of decay.

Incidentally I work about a mile from the Volvo headquaters - just down NC 68 and to the left a little -

When you get back this way give me an email and I'll buy you a drink!

Bob M.

Cain
09-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Paul,

Are the wheels still available? I live in Little Rock and come to Texas every now and then. I may come and get them from you.

Cain