PDA

View Full Version : Side Screen Repair

martx-5
08-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I have a pair of side screens that are in need of refurbishing. I see that TRF has new windows, channels and vinyl available for repair. Has anyone done this job themselves, or have a link on the procedure to repair these??

I've done everything myself on my restoration, and if it's possible, I'd like to tackle this job also.

newmexTR3
08-16-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm interested in this too. TRF's rebuild service is pricey.

Lou Metelko
08-16-2009, 11:22 AM
The best usually is! If you buy strictly on price you automatically forfeit rights to complain about quality, service and availability.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Geo Hahn
08-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I applaud your desire to do it all yourself. I feel that way most of the time but paint and sidecurtains I decided were beyond me.

FWIW -- my sidecurtains were built by TRF 25 years ago and they did a great job. I think it would take a very crafty & patient person to get that sort of result the first time around.

https://members.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/SideCurtain.JPG

Don Elliott
08-16-2009, 12:59 PM
George - I had mine done 22 years ago through TRF. At that time it was "farmed out" to Larry Learn in Indiana Pennsylvania. It was in 2003 when I was at the Roadster Factory Party when they combined it with the Annual VTR event and I was filling up at a gas station when a fellow came up to me and said, "I recognize those side-curtains." It was Larry Learn himself. He was pleased to see that they were still like new.

Larry is no longer doing them for TRF but he might be willing to do them for an individual. He took a long time to do mine and that may be why he is no longer doing them for TRF. He took a year in my case.

The Telephone No. I still have on file for Larry is (725) 465-8661

apbos
08-16-2009, 01:24 PM
I guess I'm in the same boat as Art and everyone else. I would like to do most of the job myself. My thoughts are that the frame, lexan would be easy. The covering and frame lining will be difficult. What I'm thing about doing is carfully removing the old material to make a pattern for a local upholstry shop and then let him do the sewing. Not a priority now as the car is far from being done and I plan on using Brooklands windscreens and a set of "Racestorations" sidesceens for everyday use.

Paul

Geo Hahn
08-16-2009, 01:26 PM
My mistake -- I got curious and dug out the receipt -- it was 1984 alright but I got them from Start Your Engines. I wonder if Larry also did theirs (they were in Maryland) as they are indeed well made.

The cost seemed at the time to be a fortune: $249.95 for the pair if you didn't have a core.

Those were the days.

HerronScott
08-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Wow, it's been a long time since I've heard a reference to Start Your Engines! I used to buy some things from them as well when I first got my car (mostly mail order but went by their place a couple of times when up in that area). Didn't Moss Motors buy them out?

Scott

Twosheds
08-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I bought some parts from them, too. It was handy to drive there.

I have a vague recollection of hearing that Start Your Engines became the basis for Moss' New Jersey location.

Geo Hahn
08-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I think that may be true. If I remember rightly, Eric (Wilhelm?) at Moss (Goleta) was one of the go-to guys at Start Your Engines.