PDA

View Full Version : TR 2/3/4 aluminum sump gasket

newmexTR3
08-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey guys,

Anyone here have an an aluminum oil pan? Any of those people have one that doesn't have a leaky gasket?

I've never been able to get the stock gasket to work well with my pan. Even after thread repair on some stripped threads in the block, I can't get a good seal.

I think part of the problem is that the stock cork gasket is much skinnier than the lip for the aluminum one. The aluminum pan also has a much thicker lip.

Ideally I'd like to get a silicon one, but no one is making them as far as I know. I spoke to Justin https://www.jmwagnersales.com, who makes the custom tr4/6 silicon valve covers, but it's really not worth it to him to fabricate.

Anyone have any suggestions for a home-made solution or tips for getting the cork gasket to not leak?

Cheers,
Gavin

TR4
08-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Could you apply Permatex or a similar liquid gasket material to the cork to help seal it?

newmexTR3
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I always use a bead of the Permatex black, although only on the gasket>pan surface. Maybe I should put it on both sides.

Good, obvious idea. thanks!

mallard
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I just got some Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker (#51813) for my engine rebuild. I got two tubes from a friend that said the product is very hard to find, but is a great sealant for Aluminum and Cast iron. I've never used the product before but was told you will not have any leaks with the product. It says it will fill gaps up to .050". I will see.

Geo Hahn
08-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Sheet cork is pretty easy to work with if you want to make a gasket that matches the width of the lip. Might even be able to find it thicker than the stock gasket. I realize you don't want a hardening sealer on the block side of the gasket but I would at least use Hylomar there.