PDA

View Full Version : Fan bushings

go_inbroke
08-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I just finished removing the apron and radiator from my '61. I was really missing working on my Ford by the time I got it all out. I scribed the fan and balancer before removal. I didn't know if they had to be replaced in the same position.

Question: Is there a problem drilling the fender and attaching the chrome piping with pop rivets to the outer fender? Will this make it more difficult to put the apron back on? Also, I had to cut one of the apron to fender bolts off under the drivers side fender. Is this going to be a problem to fix?

Flying blind and having a blast!

tinman58
08-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I did the pop rivet thing last year, and it is a great thing to do. I am going to do it again on the new rebuild. It does make it easy to remove the apron. No beads flopping around. Make sure that the beading is down tight to the fender so that there are no gaps .

martx-5
08-15-2009, 06:24 AM
Since the beads overlap the front of the apron, you will have to loosen the bolts securing the front wings (fenders) and spread them out a bit to get the apron in place. Then you can push the wings back into position. At least that's what I had to do, but it is a great mod and it does make getting the apron on a lot easier.

Depending on where the broken bolt is, you may be able to spread the cage out alittle and get the nut with the broken screw out. The you can put in a new nut, close the cage back up and you're set to go. I did this with several broken body screws during the restoration.

go_inbroke
08-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys for the info...ordering fan parts today. I should attempt to repair the broken bolt before the parts get here but I seem to run out of steam until the box arrives. One way or the other.