PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Les Paul

Steve
08-13-2009, 11:53 AM
The legend has passed away at the age of 94. For anyone who has played the electric guitar, and for those who enjoy the music created on that instrument it is a sad day indeed.

Andrew Mace
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
The legend has passed away at the age of 94. For anyone who has played the electric guitar, and for those who enjoy the music created on that instrument it is a sad day indeed. To many of us, especially "of a certain age," it could well be the 2nd "Day the Music Died."

A couple quotes I found in reading about Les:

"We all must own up that without Les Paul, generations of flash little punks like us would be in jail or cleaning toilets. This man, by his genius, made the road we still travel today." -- Keith Richards

Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the early influence category in 1988, [Les Paul] said in his acceptance speech: "I have been credited with inventing a few things you guys are using. About the most I can say is, 'Have fun with my toys.'"

I turned my now almost 18-year-old son onto Les Paul a few years ago; more recently, he has delighted in introducing some of his friends to the genius of such recordings as "How High the Moon" and so many others -- and watching the expressions of delight and awe on the faces of those friends.

Steve
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
The legend has passed away at the age of 94. For anyone who has played the electric guitar, and for those who enjoy the music created on that instrument it is a sad day indeed. To many of us, especially "of a certain age," it could well be the 2nd "Day the Music Died."

I agree 100%. Not as newsworthy but the loss is as great. He will be sorely missed.

Gliderman8
08-13-2009, 12:44 PM
A very talented player and a accomplised inventor.
Have a listen.....

https://www.youtube.com/v/pb5_DEhmDAM&amp;feature=relatedDEhmDAM&amp;feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Don_R
08-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Sad day indeed. I don't play much but I still want a tobacco sunburst Les Paul its just not in the budget.

martx-5
08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Here's a short bio of Les Paul with Mary Ford joining him on "How High the Moon". :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/v/qZ_5ubk2H4k&amp;NR=1&amp;feature=fvwpubk2H4k&amp;NR=1&amp;feature= fvwp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

DrEntropy
08-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Remember watching Les and Mary on th' tube.

He was truly an innovator. Her voice was lovely.

Banjo
08-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I remember my cousin selling his classic Gibson Les Paul for a few hundred bucks when he was tight for cash. My dad durn near throttled him. Screamed at him "Why diden't you call me?!" I can only imagine what that very heavy, wonderful playing guitar was really worth. I feel privilaged that I got to play it a few times.
A true legend of music. Thanks for all he contributed to what we have today.

Brosky
08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
A true genius in every sense of the word. Musician, songwriter, instrument designer. He had it all and the music world, in fact all of the world is better for it.

drooartz
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
A great player, and still touring right up until the end. That's a good life lived.

sparkydave
08-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Wow, I hadn't heard. I was actually visiting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland on Friday and was intrigued by the Les Paul exhibit. No mention that he had passed.