PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A how does choke cable attach at Carb 65 tr4a?

Richard_Brown
08-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Just put my rebuilt carbs on and started the car after 20 years, started first turnover, had this luck with a tr250 that sat in an orchard for 25 years as well. these things always amaze me.
So the choke was not hooked up when I purchased the car, I have a new choke cable but I can not figure out if i am missing a bracket or the rest of what is needed to connect it to the carbs. these are Strombergs.

I could not find even a close up photo to see it.

thank you

DanB
08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
The cable goes through a little thingy on the choke lever and then is attached to the carb body through a hole with a set screw. The attachment point is very obvious, on the outer rim of the body.

TR4nut
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
My guess it is the same as in on a TR4. If so, it is on the front carb. Here is a grimy picture:

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t145/deruiterville/TR%20Stuff/IMG_2043.jpg

Randy

Richard_Brown
06-01-2011, 03:48 PM
anyone else have a close up photo that shows this better, seems there are also clips available but all my image searches and research through 3 books and online I can not seem to see this correctly installed on strombergs.

TR4nut
06-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Well, not to nitpick too much, but the above shot is correctly installed at least for a TR4.. The cable routes in from underneath, and no clips are used. I think since the 4A used the same carbs with the adjustable jets on the bottom you would have the same setup. On TR6's, you had a different choke cable setup with the cables coming in from above- and I think that's where the clips are used.

Richard_Brown
06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
ahh, ok. that may be why I am confused because I have another set of carbs sitting here that I need to get rid of and was looking at them having these clips as well, victoria british shows a clip they sell as well so maybe its not correct that they sell it.

Geo Hahn
06-01-2011, 08:44 PM
The TR4 choke cable arrangement is really quite clever as it does not rely on that Rube Goldberg arrangement of clamps and levers like the TR3. The inner cable just passes thru a hole and into the fixing point with the set screw.

When the knob is pulled, the cable housing jams against that hole and pushes the choke lever.

With the minimal number of parts involved in this simple set-up I can see where one might expect it to be something more than it is.