PDA

View Full Version : Paul (apbos) how did the rear fender removal go?

tdskip
08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
From the other thread it looked like the car was fighting you some...

apbos
08-11-2009, 09:29 AM
It was an ugly 4 1/2 hour job! Had to grind off all of the bolt heads on the trunk and broke on both sides the rear bottom bolts (how do I repair them ???). Also had to grind off one bolt head at the lower front of the left rear fender. All the rest came loose with penetrating oil. A big problem was the sealer (dum dum?), which covers the bolt heads and had to be picked of to get the 7/16 wrench on the bolt. How they could put these cars together rapidly at the factory is a mystery.

Paul

P.S. How goes the floors?

martx-5
08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
... and broke on both sides the rear bottom bolts (how do I repair them ???)...

I assume that you are talking about the caged nuts at the very back of the fenders (three on each side) that are impossible to get to without cutting the rear valence apart.

What I did was knock the caged nut out of the holder (yes it will lay inside forever), and then welded on these weld nuts from McMaster. (https://www.mcmaster.com/#90594a040/=357iu7) I had to drill the holes slightly so I could insert the threaded section of the nut. It worked out very well.

apbos
08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Thank-you Art!

That should make the repair a lot easier. What about drilling a drain hole to get the nut out and then sealing it with a rubber plug? I've also got some questions on your mods (alternator and brakes) that I wil pm you about.

Paul

martx-5
08-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't see why it's neccessary to get them out. With all the other noises going on in the TR3, the occasional rattle from one of those nuts way back there will never be heard. I certainly haven't heard them, and I have two of them rattling around on each side...four altogether. :laugh:

BTW, when you PM me about the other issues, give me your address and I will send you a bunch of the weld nuts...on me. I have so many left over. I sent some to someone else on the forum, so I'll extend that courtesy to you. :cheers:

TR4nut
08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Doesn't the valance have plugged drain holes anyway? I was thinking those loose square nuts could come out that way. Thanks again to Art on the method, its my plan of attack on the bottom nuts that are the problem on my car.

Randy