PDA

View Full Version : Another true story from the screenprinter

screenprinter
09-01-2004, 01:50 PM
This is a true story that defies belief -

Back in the early 80's, before learning my computer skills I worked for a guy in Greensboro NC whose company did floorcoverings, carpet, tile, etc. One day Al comes to the dock and tells my foreman to load two vans with a crazy amount of 12" square ceramic floor tile - half black and half white and drive out to this address in Summerfield, NC. We were told to install a b&w checkerboard floor in a garage -
We drove out in the country and the address was a nice three story farm house complete with a horse barn, corral and a brand new 10 bay brick and steel garage. The five of us prepped the floor and started installing the tile and about noon here comes a brand new Porsche convertible up the driveway - Sure enough, it was the ownwer checking on the progress.
Old Steve Brewer, who down here is known as a "good ole boy"( With all that goes along with it)walks up to this guy and comments on what a nice garage, and does he have any cars to put in it? The owner told him that he had a few clunkers down in the barn and we were welcome to take a look if we liked -
When we opened the door of the barn there were bales of hay , cans of Gas & kero, tillers, and 10 vintage Ferraris -
I don't know much about models but these would make you drool - He had fiberglass racing body shells hanging on the walls - The owner poked his head in and commented that these were his clunkers - he had one policy with all the numbers on it which he would turn on or off if he decided to drive one - and he had a couple more out back - We walked around back and in a converted chicken coop he had 2 Lamborghini Countachs side by side.

As if this wasn't enough he said he'd show as a REALLY nice car - So we followed him into his house and down a flight of stairs into the basement and through a regular 32" door - and in the middle of a windowless room sat a '57 Testarosa factory racer complete with all decals, up on blocks looking to be showroom perfect. He'd had a wall knocked out, pushed the car inside and bricked up the wall behind it - 1 of 6 made and probably the only one in that shape remaining- It turns out this character was the owner of Foreign Cars Italia -Greensboro's Ferrari dealership - His wife was an Italian girl from a well to do family in Rome and they spent their summers over there going around to her family's aquanitences looking for used ( or abused) Italian autos he could buy, ship and restore.
Needless to say, not many of us were worth a **** for the rest of the day.
About everybody I know has a " Found a '54 Corvette under a pile of junk in an old lady's garage" story, but this one ranks up there with the best of them, and best of all, it's a true story!

Steve_S
09-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Do you have his address? Is there a security system? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

screenprinter
09-01-2004, 02:15 PM
There was indeed a security system in the new garage - the barn door was secured with a piece of rope - unbelievable! The guy, Steven Barney has since sold Foreign Cars Italia to somebody else and operates a "Used Car" lot in Summerfield which is a very wealthy small community in Guilford County . His lot is named "Sport Auto" ( Not very imaginative) and specializes in Ferrari, Porsche and BMW -

For any who doubt the truth of this tale you might give Mr. Barney a call at (336) 643-9595 (Sport Auto)and politely inquire about his garage full of wonderful toys - for all his money and goodies he was a very down to earth friendly guy - he even told us to ride out on sundays when he got the garage finished to see the cars, and even bring the children - Astonishing!

78Z
09-02-2004, 02:34 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

you never know what is hidden behind garage or barn doors! Not quite as impressive but one member of my local car club owns a variety of expensive cars including Gullwing Mercedes, Dino 246, early Lamborghini, as well as some misc Ferraris and Porsche Boxster. We got a tour and they are all stored in a non-descript warehouse in an industrial area. One would never know they are there (probably the whole point)

screenprinter
09-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Well gents, as Bela Lugosi once said

" It Mahst be Greaaat to be Alive!"-Guess I'll never know!

Cheers!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Steve
09-02-2004, 03:29 PM
A guy I know has a collection of Jaguars, including D-Type, C-Type, an XK-SS, a Mk IV drophead, several E-Types, you get the idea.......another has a collection that includes a couple of MGBs, E-Types, Rolls-Royce Corniche convertible, an XJ220 and several others that I haven't even seen yet. He bought an old fire station to house his collection, which he has since outgrown.

screenprinter
09-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Steve & Dave -

Maybe we could get these guys together and they could form a club - something like "The Insanely Rich and Overkilled Wonderous Toy Club" -

Basil, Maybe you should devote a new forum for people who have more beautiful cars than you can shake a stick at - Come to think of it - There are a couple of those already posting (you guys know who you are!) - Whaddya think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Sherlock
09-02-2004, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
78Z said: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif you never know what is hidden behind garage or barn doors! Not quite as impressive but one member of my local car club owns a variety of expensive cars including Gullwing Mercedes, Dino 246, early Lamborghini, as well as some misc Ferraris and Porsche Boxster. We got a tour and they are all stored in a non-descript warehouse in an industrial area. One would never know they are there (probably the whole point)

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot about his recently acquired Lamborghini Countach (1980's 4000S version I think), I've seen it around once. It is a non-descript warehouse but I have sometimes driven by there and seen the doors open if he's around doing work on them or whatever.

About a month back I saw him at a smaller local show with his Lamborghini 400GT, he told me that he plans to take all of his collection to the European Field Meet show in two weekends here in town, now I just hope it will be good weather for the show...

screenprinter
09-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Wow guys! - I'd like to see photos of that - Dust off the jolly old digital camera and snap away eh? Meanwhile, I'm going to call Mr. Barney and reintroduce myself - If he's still accomodating I'll try and get some photos of his collection and post them.

Carry on lads!!

Bob M.

Sherlock
09-02-2004, 08:23 PM
For a start here's the Lamborghini 400GT picture taken a few weeks ago at a small all-makes show... This picture is also posted in my Italian car photo album at the url listed below

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/jtworow/Lamborghini1.jpg

screenprinter
09-02-2004, 08:27 PM
WOW!!! This isn't the model that was made with Zinc trim is it ( Or was that just on a prototype that was produced?) I admit I'm not up to speed on the Italian Jobs although they make me light headed when I run across one!

Jon12
09-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Alright guys give me some addresses of these warehouses and barns so Steve and I can go conduct a little business /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Steve_S
09-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Shots of all possible entrances, lights and dogs would also be appreciated.

78Z
09-03-2004, 12:53 AM
here is some pictures from that day. The Lambo, Gullwing, Ferrari and Dino pictured belong to him. I didn't take any of the more mundane stuff like Boxster, race cars and Fiat 2000. Also in there are some other pictures from the clubs garage tour including me driving a double decker

https://photobucket.com/albums/v197/arthurdent/garagetour2004/

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/arthurdent/garagetour2004/MercedesGullwing.jpg

lambo engine!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/arthurdent/garagetour2004/Lamborghini400GTengine.jpg

screenprinter
09-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Great collection of photos Dave! The owner has an eye for beauty!

78Z
09-03-2004, 11:54 AM
check out this story in a similar vein - https://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100753

screenprinter
09-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Just incredible - How'd you like to have been riding around in a wrecker just after event? Too Cool For School!

Thanks for the link - I'm saving that one if for no other reason than to illustrate to my younger son that the minute you step out of line the Devil is right there to snag you!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif