TR6oldtimer
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Well this is what I have been up to.

Installation of .030 pistons etc
https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/tr6oldtimer/TR6%20Engine/P8040001.jpg

GP2 cam going in.
https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/tr6oldtimer/TR6%20Engine/P8040002.jpg

Next to degree the cam...

Soon all to be back together, then back to the body work which had become a ordeal.

kodanja
08-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Looks awesome,

I wish I had the time, money and resources to do mine

poolboy
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Nice job on the walls, Ray. What grit ? The rings ought to seat fast. Did you have much of a ridge ?

tdskip
08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Nice work - thanks for the update.

Was it time to take a break from the body work?

TR6oldtimer
08-06-2009, 10:39 AM
PB, I had the engine bored, then honed, I do not know what hone the machinist used. And TD, yes, I needed a break from working on the tub, so I moved up the engine build for a break.

Restoration is suppose to be fun, so when parts of it becomes a task, I looked for something else to do that needed doing. Like the rebuild of the starter and soon the alternator. Then I will be back to the tub and put the last rocker panel on, then skin the doors, then do the window frame, then the...

Anyway, variety is the spice of life and it keeps it fun.

tdskip
08-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Restoration is suppose to be fun, so when parts of it becomes a task, I looked for something else to do that needed doing. Like the rebuild of the starter and soon the alternator. Then I will be back to the tub and put the last rocker panel on, then skin the doors, then do the window frame, then the...

Anyway, variety is the spice of life and it keeps it fun.

I totally hear you, and that approach is how I justify having way too many projects. (Doesn't make sense if I look at it rationally but having a justification, even if bogus, makes me feel better!)

TR_JOE250
08-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I can echo that one. Every time I take the cover off my 250 she just begs me for attention and money.

glemon
08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Nice work, know what you mean, total restoration of my TR250, I feel I need to keep going or it will never get done, I switch around the work too. There are also times I just don't feel like going out to the garage (I have been working on the car pretty much everyday after work lately) if I really don't fee like it I don't go, but many times that just ends up being spending some time on the forum then later in the evening I head on out to the garage.

U joints and front and rear suspension work lately.

Most of the bodywork, though time consuming, I find fairly relaxing. The mechanical work should be too, but so many times the parts don't fit, or something is stuck on or whatever, and the 15 minute job becomes to two hour job.

I have decided I really like buying a running driving car and fixing and improving as needed or desired more than a total restoration. I know others toll differently, but I think I need the reward of driving or at least looking at a nice finished car now and then.

swift6
08-07-2009, 05:20 PM
I can echo that one. Every time I take the cover off my 250 she just begs me for attention and money.

Thats is how my TR6 recieved the moniker "Josephine". Think of Napoleon's Josephine and you'll see the connection. :crazy:

TR6oldtimer
08-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Shawn, so you caught your car messing around with MG's? :devilgrin:

Anyway, good news, the GP2 cam has been degreed, not as big of a deal as I thought it would be, just of couple of hours of puttering around. A couple of more days, and the engine will be done. Maybe Wednesday... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif maybe not.

Brosky
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Better Josephine than Evita......

Good looking job so far Ray. Keep the pics and progress reports coming.

TR6oldtimer
08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Here is a shot of the degree wheel at .010 lift on the intake and the crank at 29 degrees BTDC

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/tr6oldtimer/P8080001_edited.jpg
https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/tr6oldtimer/P8080003_edited.jpg

Oil pump in
https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/tr6oldtimer/P8080004_edited.jpg

The pan is on, and various other external items, including spin on oil filter. (Yes, after owning a TR4 and this TR6 since '75, I finally popped for the adapter)

The head and valve train is next.

88 degrees here today.

Brosky
08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Ray,

Did you check the gear clearance in the oil pump? My new pump was within tolerance, but we polished the gears a bit to smooth them out.

A bit anal perhaps, but to me, that pump is the heart of every engine.

booley
08-09-2009, 08:17 PM
nice build
did you go for cam bearings or not?

TR6oldtimer
08-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Paul, the oil pump was new 16 years or so ago, when the car was laid up. I did check and all three clearances and they were in specification.

Thanks booley, the in block cam bearings were within specification, so I did not have it lined bored for the bearing inserts. Actually, the reason I am building the TR250 block, is that the original TR6 block cam bearings were so far out, they needed to be bored. My problem was finding a machine shop who could do the job. While many had the tooling to line bore a six, they did not have the equipment to bore the case hardened cam bearings. Plus, the crank on the six needed grinding, I figure building out the 250 has saved me $1200.