PDA

View Full Version : New Tires - WHERE?

08-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Hello Folks,

Good morning - I hope that your weekend is going well, rain or not.

OK. A favorite subject. New Tires. I don't mean to sound impertinent, but this is not a request for a discussion. This is a request for 2-part answers: (1) what size/make tire did you get, and (2) where did you get it?

I am going to have to get new tires this year. In his effort to make this car as comfortable and dependable as possible (rack & pinion, electronic ignition, et al), the PO but 195 tires on the car. All well and good, but the spare tire compartment will not fit the tire and the speedo is off at least 10 mph. :nonono:

AS you know, the original tire was a 155, and the replacement size recommended is 165. <span style="font-weight: bold">EITHER SIZE IS FINE WITH ME.</span>

So, if you have purchased either of these sizes in the last year or two, please respond and answer the questions above.

Lastly, extra credit questions. I am going to use tubes and rim bands, as I have wire wheels. Moss offers these at $20 and $10, respectively. So, for extra credit:

(3) Where did you get your tires mounted?
(4) Will they mount my tubes and bands if I bought them at Moss, or will they carry them?

I look forward to hearing from you. On one of my forums, someone asked the same question and got little or no response. The guys in my club have TRs with bigger tires, so my response was minimal there.

Again, thanks in advance. :thankyousign:

George

P.S. Saint Peter looked out the pearly gates one morning, and saw 100 married couples lined up for admission to Heaven. He said, "All right. I want everyone to form a straight line." Which they did. He said, "OK, I want every man who is hen-pecked to take one step out." 99 guys stepped out, all except one guy down at the very end. Peter walked all the way down to the end, and there was me and my ex-wife. Saint Peter asked, "Why didn't YOU step out?" I said, "She told me NOT to." :devilgrin:

Mickey Richaud
08-02-2009, 08:30 AM
My tire of choice, when I had the TR3, was the Vredestein Sprint in 165/15. You can probably get them from Tire Rack.

And if you do get them, you may have to deflate the spare a bit to fit in the spare tire carrier.

Mickey

martx-5
08-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Your TR3B originally should've come with 165 size tires and should fit with no problem inside the tire boot. I have no problem getting the 165 size in my post 60K spare tire slot.

Tire rack also has Kuhmo tires in a 165/80-15 size for $43 per. As far as getting them mounted goes, most tire places grip and hold the rims on the bottom inside and doing wire wheels should pose no problem. Most of these modern aluminum rims are a lot more delicate then our wire wheels. My local car repair shop can even do them. Balancing might be more of a problem depending on what type of adaptors the tire place has.

Edit: I would bring everything you can...tubes and bands. The likelyhood of the tire mounting place having them is slim to none!

Twosheds
08-02-2009, 10:51 AM
The guy at British Wire Wheel told me not to use the bands. He said to wrap the wheel with PVC tape, available at Home Depot or equivalent. Don't stretch it while wrapping. And DON'T use duct tape.

I apoligize if this answer is discussion.

TR3driver
08-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Your TR3B originally should've come with 165 size tires :iagree: Earlier cars came with 155 radials (or 5.50 bias ply), but the spare tire well was enlarged at TS60K (roughly 1960 model year) to take the wider tires.

Even my local Wal-Mart has the equipment to mount tires on wire wheels; that grips the wheels by the back of the outer rim and doesn't even touch the wheel anywhere else.

But I think you'll have a much harder time finding some place that has the proper equipment to balance wire wheels. It has to grip the wheel by the normal cone surfaces, not just the opening, or it won't get the wheel properly balanced. Probably worthwhile finding a place that specializes in British wires.

Can't help with your other questions, as I'm running 205/55-15 on my TR3A, plus a skinny compact spare. Obviously, my 'street' tires don't fit in the spare tire well.

Geo Hahn
08-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Mine are all 165x15s. I can get the spare in the pre-60K car by deflating it and powdering both sides with baby powder.

Most recent brand was Kuhmos (these were actually 165/80 15, very close to the metric size. Got them at a local tire chain.

Other brands I still have in use are Coopers &amp; Michelins but those are NLA.

You may have to phone around to see who will mount wires -- lately some of the chains have become wary of using tubes in tubeless tires (at least around here).

NutmegCT
08-02-2009, 06:05 PM
George - quick and dirty:

Purchase and installed 18 months ago.

1. P165/80R15 Kumho 758, $54 each. These were recommended by several BCF guys.
2. local tire dealer ordered for me
3. installed by same tire dealer
4. n/a (I have steel wheels)

But my local dealer has experience with wires and would mount them with tubes and liners if requested, regardless of the supplier.

Hope this helps.
Tom

08-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Well, muchias gracias, mes amis!!!

I will talk with my local NTB. I have been using NTB exclusively for the last 40 years, going back to NTW days. If THEY won't do it, I will try the Firestone, BFGoodrich, et al.

I will let you know how it goes. Rather than do it over the phone, I think that I will drive on in. Before I got my car, I stopped by the local BFGoodrich dealer, just to chat. But the kid behind the counter, although meaning well, was worthless, and told me to come back when the manager was there. Which I never did.

But, your responses have surely been encouraging (don't call me Shirley). I will mention the PVC-vs-band recommendation and see what they have to say.

Peace,

George

6TTR3A
08-02-2009, 08:46 PM
There are several Discount Tire Co. dealers in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. They carry Arizonan brand 165s. I've been using them for years...No problems.
Pre-formed wire wheel bands are not the best. They used to be made properly, but not any more. Use the PVC tape that British Wire Wheel sells.
Getting them balanced PROPERLY can be a challenge.