PDA

View Full Version : TR6 69TR6 carb adjustment help

ichthos
07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Hello,
I recently finished a 5,000 mile cross country trip. Near the end of the trip I noticed a slight loss of power when I would try to accellerate through inclines. At the end of my trip when I pulled into town, I noticed it made a sort of putt putt sound (sorry for the low tech description). When I pulled into the gas station the exhaust smelled a little like unburned fuel. My car did start right up, but I knew it was time for some maintenance. I did a tune up, changed the air filters, adjusted the valves, changed the oil, and flushed the radiator. It still runs the same as when I first noticed the problem. I figure it has to be the carbs, something I try to avoid because I am so bad at adjusting them. Would you agree it has to be the carbs? Does someone have directions on how to adjust carbs that is listed in a simple stepwise fashion? As always, and help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

tdskip
07-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Kevin - the key with carbs is to take everything step by step and not to be afraid of them. They can smell fear....

Adjusting them isn't hard, nor is rebuilding them.

Have you reviewed the carb section here;

https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

NutmegCT
07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Kevin - if I drove 5000 mi w/o any "power" problems until just before I got home, I'd first think it might be the last tank of fuel I bought.

At least before monkeying around with my carb setup. Of course, a clogged fuel filter might also be in the mix.

Just a thought.
Tom

conan69
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
A true 69 TR6 carb doesn't have a mixture adjustment.I would check the floats first. They like to fill with fuel. A heavy float will provide to much fuel.
One side of one float filling with fuel can mess with you.
Had new floats in my 69 and one the run one side of the aft carb float filled up 100% with fuel
Drove fine on the run going. A little rich coming home. Spitting fuel overboard the next day. [175 MILES from new]

poolboy
08-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree with conan, unless someone switched carbs, there's no needle adjustment.
But you may be having trouble with the needle valves in the float chamber.
Regular rubber fuel lines have been reported to deterioate over time with the alcohol blended fuels; whereas fuel injection line of the same I.D. does not.
Any kind of crud or debris that enters the needle valve can prevent then from closing completetly even though the actual floats are trying to close them, the float chamber being full.
If you do have to replace the needle valves, think long and hard if someone suggest either in advertisement or otherwise to get the valves known as Grose Jets. I wouldn't.

TR3driver
08-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Regular rubber fuel lines have been reported to deterioate over time with the alcohol blended fuels; whereas fuel injection line of the same I.D. does not.Just my opinion, but I believe that only applied to old 'rubber' fuel lines. Anything made in the last 15-20 years or so should stand up to gasohol just fine. The 'rubber' is now synthetic nitrile.

Same thing goes for fuel pump diaphragms and many other soft fuel system components. The old ones wouldn't stand up to modern fuel.