PDA

View Full Version : tr 3 clutch slave cylinder

mountainman
07-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Is this the correct mounting for the slave cylinder? The reason I ask is that when I tried to mount mine this way the push rod is to long and won't go into the fork ass'y. Should I cut the rod or what should I do.
Thanks Greg https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g317/gregflash/slave2.jpg

TR3driver
07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Nope, that's the wrong way for a Girling slave.
Practical Hints has the right way:

mountainman
07-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Thanks Randall, I did not realize that was a Toyota tramission.
Greg

hondo402000
07-27-2009, 06:26 AM
looks like the rod is treaded so can you slaken the nut and screw the rod into the socket? thats if you have any adjustment in effect making the rod shorter

HOndo

TR3driver
07-27-2009, 09:52 AM
The pushrod is adjustable (that's how you adjust the clutch); but it has a somewhat limited range. With the slave on the wrong side of the bracket, the pushrod hits the lever before you get the required freeplay.

Not too hard to shorten the pushrod (which I would guess has been done for the conversion pictured above), but shouldn't be necessary. It's confusing because the early cars with front drum brakes used a different slave cylinder that mounted the other way; and many of the manuals (including the Bentley) have photos of the earlier arrangement.

sp53
07-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Wow clearly you are right Randall, but I have had mine bolted on the other way for a long time. In addition, I also have the holding bracket bolted on the other side of the trans. My two mistakes must chancel each other out and make it operative.
Steve

TR3driver
07-27-2009, 01:47 PM
You're certainly not alone, Steve.
Out of curiosity, what did you do about the lip on the flywheel cover? Just bend it flat?

sp53
07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Well I think mine is just like the photo that mountain posted. The bracket is on the backside of the trans and so is the slave cylinder. I will make sure when I get home, but I think so. So my tin is on the front side and not affected.
Steve