PDA

View Full Version : Happy to Rent

07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Hello Folks,

Well, my last project is an accident looking to happen. I have to install 10 Lift-the-Dot fasteners into my new hood stick cover. The only way I will EVER be able to do this without screwing it up would be with a <span style="font-weight: bold">LIFT-THE-DOT PUNCH</span>!! :nonod:

The dang things cost NINETY DOLLARS to buy. I cannot afford to pay that for a tool that I will only use once. :madder:

However, if someone of you has one that he/she would RENT me, I would LOVE to rent it from you for $25.

If you have one, or know someone who does, please email me or have him/her email me at tr3agabDELETE@gmail.com Obviously, delete the DELETE.

My only other option is to take it to an upholstery shop.

Thanks in advance - you all have been a big help so far,

George

TR4nut
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
George-

You have a pm (or will shortly..)

Randy

just sent you a private message with my contact info - look up top near the "My Stuff" area and you should see a blinking mail icon - I think I have what you need.

donbmw
07-25-2009, 10:58 AM
George

When I installed the top on my TR3 I used a cheap leather punch set I got from Harbour Freight to make the large holes. The tabs that get bent over I tapped thourgh the material with a soft mallet and a block of wood for support.

Don

martx-5
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I did the same thing when I installed my top, but used a 5/16" punch used for gasket making. If you careful, the fasteners will pierce the top quite easily without messing the fastener up. Having said that, I borrowed a Lift-the-Dot punch from one of the guys in the Triumph club to do my tonneau cover, which I'm working on right now...it is much easier having those four stud holes pierced though the material, but not worth buying.

PeterK
07-25-2009, 01:19 PM
I paid $38 for my punch fromn a marine shop online. Just search, it was eay to find. Don't pay $90.

less than 1 minute later, I found it for $42 here https://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_411_A_SubCatId_E_448
I think it's the same place I purchased mine a few years ago.

emmett1010
07-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I burned the holes through with a soldering gun tip, then tapped the fastener through the fabric with a hammer, on top of a piece of soft pine. Use the hammer softly around the edge of the lift the dot fastener so as not to deform it. Worked great.
Emmett

martx-5
07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Co-incidental that you mention Marine supply. I needed a few more Lift-the-Dot fasteners today while installing my tonneau cover and picked them up at the local marine supply. A little more expensive then Moss, but cheaper because I didn't have to pay shipping. :laugh:

Dan76spit
07-25-2009, 02:26 PM
hey folks,
for any of these things like lift the dot and button snaps also be sure to check with a local awning company. I work for one in buffalo, NY and we have all that stuff. If any lbc owners in the buffalo area need something let me know i can probably hook you up. tr3bgeorge if you didnt find one let me know we can work something out. good luck!

07-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the poop, you guys. A club member friend has the same Harbor Freight set of punches, and I was going to borrow them. Then, I remembered a little upholstery shop a few miles from my house, who did some work for me 4 and 5 years ago. So, I gave them a call, went on over, and punched my holes in 5 minutes. It's amazing how easy a job is when you have the proper tools! (I could just see me taking a soldering gun to my tonneau cover. NOT a pretty sight! :madder: )

So, again, thanks. As it turned out, one fitting is about 1/8" to the left, but it fits, and I am tickled pink with the result. :thankyousign: