PDA

View Full Version : barn find

fastthings
07-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Hello everyone,
my wifes dad, parked a 1962? herald in a barn that is now ready to fall in. 3 years ago he offered to give it to my 12 year old boy, i told him i didn't want it.

well, again the other day he was offered the car, bugged me until i went to look. what i saw was, the car may be holding up the building. one of the leaning posts is up on the car. the car has stacked stuff around it, so not a real good look. i did see a handle an the bonnet and the chrome strip. ribbed top. i dont think it has the correct paint sceeme.

tell me about what i may have. i figure it must be the 948 herald coupe. i read that it is the most rare? only 129 left known in the world?

i have the skills to fully restore the car.wich i will probbably do so. and we will hold on to it. i can't find anything on it's potential value.

any thoughts?

thanks,
gene

billspit
07-22-2009, 07:29 AM
He should pay you to take it. If the building is in such bad shape, the car likely isn't far behind. Especially if it is parked on a dirt floor.

That said, I do like Heralds and Vistesses. I suspect parts are going to be next to impossible to buy.

Brosky
07-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Get it out and take some pictures.

And watch out for snakes and rodents.

fastthings
07-22-2009, 07:55 AM
He should pay you to take it. If the building is in such bad shape, the car likely isn't far behind. Especially if it is parked on a dirt floor.

That said, I do like Heralds and Vistesses. I suspect parts are going to be next to impossible to buy.

the car is free to me, and after seeing some that have been saved, it's in good shape? it was backed into the building running. i thought the car was ugly, but it's starting to grow on me. the fact that it's rare makes it cool no matter how ugly it is. it wont be sold, i was just trying to get a picture of just how rare it may be. and what it's potential value may be.

and yes, i will post pics soon.

tdskip
07-22-2009, 08:11 AM
First of all Gene - welcome to the forum! Lots of help and support here.

Not many Heralds here, so it is automatically fairly rare in the US. Andy and others will jump in with more detailed information I'm sure.

Andrew Mace
07-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Gene, chances are that it is a 948cc twin-carb Coupé from what you describe. Rare? Yes, although I'm not quite sure where the 129 left in the world number comes from. Originally, 1,049 of them were officially sold in the US, with an unknown additional number sold in Canada as well. Valuable? Hard to say. Cool? Definitely! I'd say, by way of analogy, that they're like a 1960s version of something like a Toyota Paseo...and definitely a "2+2" at best, with the rear seat (if present) suitable for young children.

https://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/y17888eb.jpg

Hopefully it looks at least as good as the one above (spotted on eBay several years ago). They're not very difficult to restore, although some parts are getting a bit scarce. And they can be loads of fun to drive and to get stared at in!

Do rescue it, and I'd love to have details (pictures, numbers) for my Database!

tomgt6
07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I would say take the car. Get it home and look it over. Parts can be found in England for sure but there are a few parts that are getting rare. I just got a 948 Herald Saloon about 2 months ago and I can say I get more people asking me questions about it then I have ever had with the GT6 or Spitfire.

They are a really cool car and my 2 boys love it. Yes there may be some work but anything worth having requires work.

At the bottom of the last post from Andy you will find a couple of websites with information and links to other websites. Also, Andy is one of the experts on the Herald and he is very helpful with questions. I have also found several other herald guys on this form and they have been helpful as well.

So Grandpa a favor and help him clean out the barn. I would take it if I could.

Dale
07-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Welcome to The Forum. A lot of Triumph history in the Herald. I'll add my "go for it" to the others, especially if you can do the work yourself. These cars were designed for the do it yourselfer. If you're not planning on turning a profit, but are looking for a fun and worthwhile project to share, and the rust bugs haven't gotten too far ahead of you. Go for it. Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress.

fastthings
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
sounds like this is a good group to pull info from, thanks guys.
i'll find out this weekend, but it seems to be in way better shape than the pic above. i'll take lots of pics and keep you all informed.

gene

Andrew Mace
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
These cars were designed for the do it yourselfer....and they're so easy to assemble. Try this link (https://books.google.com/books?id=Byt68YzC5mIC&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=triumph+ herald+build+team&source=bl&ots=_rtsNsXCZS&sig=JhV QHyPV0wnaroydQELNRtTBGOg&hl=en&ei=IZFoSuDEDd6ptgf4 87GYCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1); if it doesn't work, Google "Triumph Herald Build Team" and see what you get. :wink: