PDA

View Full Version : Lucas windshield wiper motor DR-2 rebuild?

Tinkerman
07-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I sitting here looking at a multitude of parts for the Lucas DR-2 wioer motor. I have parts for 4 (mostly) Does anyone have a parts diagram or some sort of a manual, or better yet pictures of a rebuild. I'm gonna do it but some amount of Literature or info would really come in handy. I do have the haynes manual and that will help. Just curious about any other experience out there.

Thanks, Tinkerman

dklawson
07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I don't have pictures of the DR-2 internals... but I'll bet Randall does.

Use the search feature to look for recent threads on the topic. About a month ago "Whitephrog" (I think that is his board name) from the Spridget forum here had two threads running concerning the DR-2. He was rebuilding his and converting a non-parking DR-2 to one that parks. His threads ran in both the Triumph and Spridget forums. If Randall doesn't have the documents you need I'd suspect that Whitephrog does.

TR3driver
07-22-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't have pictures of the DR-2 internals... but I'll bet Randall does. Sorry, I don't. Never bothered to take any.

angelfj1
07-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Dick: I have something but I need a little time to find it.

later,

Frank

JodyFKerr
07-22-2009, 11:28 AM
If I remember correctly the wiper motor used in the Jensen Healey is the same as the one you're mentioning that has the park function. Here's the restoration I did of mine, hopefully it helps.

https://www.theymightberacing.com/Projects/FrameOff/JH74G/WiperAssemblyRestoration.aspx

Jody

Tinkerman
07-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks Jody, yes they are similar but different. The gear box is very similar. Did you test the electrics before dissasembly and if so how? When you reassembled how did you position part #3 the connecting rod?

Thanks Frank, every thing will help.

Tinkerman

JodyFKerr
07-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks Jody, yes they are similar but different. The gear box is very similar. Did you test the electrics before dissasembly and if so how? When you reassembled how did you position part #3 the connecting rod?

This particular motor came in a box of spare bits. It just so happened to have the commector and a chunk of the wiring harness still attached to it. Once I knew how the connections were supposed to work I ran it directly off the battery.

As to the connecting rod, I replaced everything exactly as I removed it. The positioning of that isn't totally critical as you can adjust the positioning of the wipers on the wheel boxes.

Jody

angelfj1
07-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Dick: The article that Jody suggested may help, but the DR-2 is somewhat different. These diagrams are from Moss - Europe

RobT
07-23-2009, 08:21 AM
If I remember correctly the wiper motor used in the Jensen Healey is the same as the one you're mentioning that has the park function. Here's the restoration I did of mine, hopefully it helps.

https://www.theymightberacing.com/Projects/FrameOff/JH74G/WiperAssemblyRestoration.aspx

Jody

Not sure about Tinkerman, but this was very helpfull for me! Same wiper motor as on the Europa - which "runs on" at times (does not always park when swithhed off). Thanks Jody and a very nice site BTW.

Rob.

Tinkerman
07-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the post Frank. It do help. Now that I'm into it, it is really quite simple mechanism wise. Im getting everything cleaned up. Im taking some of the stuff to a motor shop in town today would like to get a set of brushes for it, though I might be able to use the best of the ones I have. Moss sells the brushes, $22.50 per set! Yikes!

Thsnks for the input.

Tinkerman