PDA

View Full Version : Bad NGK plug

08-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Did a minor tuneup on my TR6, points, plugs and condensor.
Also set the valves, adjusted the timing and adjusted the 3 Strombergs. It ran horribly! Deductive diagnosis, rechecked every thing and found two wet plugs. I actually had two bad NGK plugs out of six. I have always sworn by NGK and thought they were the perfect plug. Go figure. Swapped out with another fresh set and everything runs perfectly. I guess one should never assume because a part is new that it is good.... I have had the same thing happen to rotors and caps, all OE.

Bill

MDCanaday
08-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Bill, bad new parts do happen, but 2 is kinda surprising..... Have you ever had your plug wires checked for proper resistance??????? I would not be shocked if you had some weak ones......(pun intended)
MD(mad dog)

Paul Johnson
08-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Have been using Bosch Platinum with no problem. Twenty five or so years ago, I crewed on a Daytona 24 Hour effort. One morning I took several boxes (100 ea) of plugs to the Champion tent for evaluation. They gave me two sets for the race, several sets for practice and said to dump the rest. Don't know how they tested, what the criteria was, or what the relevance to this thread is, but it was fun to remember.