PDA

View Full Version : Finish - reinforement plate/wing attachment bolts

angelfj1
07-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I realize this is a fine detail, but I am looking for the correct finish of these reinforcement plates. They are used at the forward most body to chassis attachment point. Since Triumph would have bolted the shell to the body at Canley, my guess is that the plates are either painted black or bare metal finish, but I'm not sure.

Also, I have seen cars restored beautifully, some with unpainted wing attachment bolts and some that are painted. Mulliners painted the shells, doors , bonnets, wings and boot/spare tire lid at their works and trucked them to Canley. From what I have read and seen in books these pieces were attached to the shell "loosely". So, I assume that Canley reused the same (painted) hardware when making the final assembly on the line. Is this the general consensus?

mallard
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM
My plates were painted black. As to gloss, satin, or flat I don't know. I did mine in gloss. The hardware that came off my car was also painted, so I will have mine painted as well. Some people use the stainless hardware and don't paint them and it looks great if it is uniform. Macys Garage sells kits for all the hardware for the doors, wings. apron, ect. When I restored my TR6 I painted all the body panels off the car then installed them. I had a complete set of old used hardware that I used to mount everything with, then removed one at a time and replaced it with a fresh painted bolt or screw. I would wrap each bolt head with teflon tape, and then a wrench also wraped in tape so I would not damage the paint on the bolt. I also used smaller diameter nylon washers under the original washer so when you tightened them down they wood not pull on the paint that you could see. Nylon was not the material for the washers I just can't think of what they were. They are very thin. All this took a long time but I loved the results. I never had to thighten any thing up after 6 years. Sorry about the long winded story I just got carried away. Your restoration work looks to be of a very high standard, keep up the good work.

PeterK
07-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Frank,

Interesting timing. I was looking at my 3A the other day and noticed two unoccupied 3/8-24 threaded holes where the front fender mount plate should be. I fit a couple of bolts and washers. Never knew there was a plate until your post.

So, is it just a ?" thick flat steel bar? So I can make a couple up or it it "special." How thick?

tia,

-Pete

mallard
07-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I just happen to have mine handy because they were hanging in the garage drying for the last month or two. The size is 4 3/4" X 1 1/4" X 1/8". The holes are a bit offset, 3/4" from the side of the angle cut to center.

angelfj1
07-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys!

PeterK
07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Thank you. I'll cut 2 sets on my bandsaw just in case someone else needs them later. Powder coat black semi-gloss.