PDA

View Full Version : bliker problems

captainde
07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
I am trying to get my left blinker to blink, I have 5 volts coming out of the steering column wiring harness for the left bliker wire but 8 volts in the rear left blinker socket. Do the blinker contacts in horn housing get dirty a lot, or should I be looking elsewhere? I do have a good ground, checked resistance at the rear blinker socket, it is o.
Thanks
captainde

TR3driver
07-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Always helps if you mention which car you have; as they aren't all the same.

I'd check the voltage going into the steering harness; if it's appreciably higher then you know the problem is in the column somewhere. Could be dirty contacts in the switch (which can be cleaned) or the wire might be broken. Could even be the screw inside the head coming loose.

captainde
07-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Randall,
I have a TR-3 1957, when I take out the three screws in the steering wheel, can I see the signal lever and contacts to be able to clean them?
Thanks,

captainde

TR3driver
07-24-2009, 10:56 PM
It's not quite that easy. You'll need to disconnect the wires under the hood, so they can be pulled through the stator tube. Then undo the 3 grub screws in the steering wheel and pull the control head out away from the wheel. That will let you get to the 3 screws that hold the front ring & horn button to the control head; plus the 3 screws that hold the control head to the backing plate. Now you can remove the 2 screws that hold the horn contacts, plus a third screw that will now let you separate the two halves of the head and a whole bunch of little parts will fall out in your lap.

There is an article that details the disassembly process at
https://www.britishcarlinks.com/technical_articles_page.htm (under 'Interior'). After all that, you can clean the contacts, lubricate all the rub points, and reassemble the unit.

Unfortunately, AFAIK no one has written a reassembly article yet. I took some photos when I did mine, but they've apparently gotten lost. However, it's not too hard, provided you don't lose any of the little parts.