PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Vent Assembly, The True Problem

Tinkerman
07-12-2009, 02:26 PM
In the attached picture (from Kevin Browne, thanks Kevin) there is a little stud held on with a snap ring that actually connects to the lid. I got the snap ring off but I found no groove in the stud for the snap ring. Is this right? Secondly the attaching screw shown in the picture attaches the lid hardware to the body. All quite normal I would think. But I looked at my car there seems to be a plate permanently attached to the body that has the proper size and TPI for the hardware mounting screws. My hardware has its own threaded plate attached. What gives? I'm a tad confused, I can work around the extra plate but I'm curious.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Tinkerman

M_Pied_Lourd
07-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi Dick,

A few pics of mine....mine has the plate attached. Mine has a different "Snap Ring". I am not sure what you call mine but you can see it attached in the photo. I believe mine just pushes down over the threads of the screw and stays there....

https://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/Pied_Lourd/P1040127-1.jpg

https://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/Pied_Lourd/P1040125.jpg

https://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/Pied_Lourd/P1040123-1.jpg

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Russ Austin
07-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Dick the push on ring is correct, the one showing at the bottom of the photo is correct the one on top is not.

TR3driver
07-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I got the snap ring off but I found no groove in the stud for the snap ring. Is this right?Yes, I believe so. All of my cars have been like that, before I changed it to a bolt &amp; nut.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Secondly the attaching screw shown in the picture attaches the lid hardware to the body. All quite normal I would think. But I looked at my car there seems to be a plate permanently attached to the body that has the proper size and TPI for the hardware mounting screws.[/QUOTE]I'm not sure from your description, but could you be confusing the mounting point for the lid hinge (on the rear edge) with the mounting point for the linkage and spring (front edge) ? The screws in the rear do go into a threaded plate welded to the sheet metal; while the ones in front go through the sheet metal and into threaded plates that are part of the linkage.

Tinkerman
07-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Thank you, Thank you. That clears up the confusion! Really appreciate your expertise on TR's Randall. Pied thanks for the pictures, Russ thanks for the confirmation!

I really appreciate the help!

Tinkerman

Tinkerman
07-13-2009, 09:35 AM
After careful examination of my scuttle vent lid I find that the rear hinge is missing, torn off of the lid, or perhaps cut off with a cutoff tool. No wonder I was confused. So now I have a need for a useable vent lid with all its parts. I have the hard ware.
I will of course pay cost and shipping.

Thanks, Tinkerman

martx-5
07-13-2009, 10:31 AM
It's a common problem for those hinges to break off. I bought a new one a few years back from TRF (I think I paid about $50), because of that. I see that they are up to $100 now. :crazyeyes:

Hopefully you can find a good used one.

TR4nut
07-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Dick-

I think I have one, but I'm on the road again for a few days - if you don't get any further leads just drop me a note around Friday and I can dig.

Randy