PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4 Brake question.

joejoecat
07-11-2009, 05:01 AM
When I first get in the TR4 or drive it awhile and not breaking the brakes fade. One or two pumps and they are back up to normal. I have bled them twice but it didn't help. The system doesn't seem to be leaking . Any insight ? Thanks

TR4nut
07-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Just a guess, but maybe you have a little runout on the rotors - and you are experiencing knockback on the front pads. You might want to check your front bearings etc. to see if there is any excessive play.

bgbassplyr
07-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Agree.

MDCanaday
07-11-2009, 08:41 AM
You need to adjust the rear brakes,they are NOT self adjusting and when the car sets a while the springs push the fluid out of the wheel cylinders.....they only help stop the car when they are properly set-up........
md(mad dog)

TR3driver
07-11-2009, 09:51 AM
and when the car sets a while the springs push the fluid out of the wheel cylinders...Hmm. Is your TR4 early enough to still have the residual pressure valve in the brakes? If so, it might lead to this problem. Otherwise, the return springs on the rear brakes should be strong enough to pull the pistons in as far as they will go, right after you release the pedal. If they are badly out of adjustment, you get a low pedal every time.

But I would be looking at front bearings and spindles first; especially if you've replaced the felt seal recently. The new felts are frequently thick enough to give a false clearance reading, but will compress enough to let the rotor wobble around in use. I've also had spindles wear enough that the outer cones were not a snug fit on the spindle and caused excess play even with the bearing properly adjusted.