PDA

View Full Version : TRials & TRibulations

Moseso
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Some of you will recall that I posted about "expensive sounding" noises in my transmission. The consensus, before even looking, was first gear on the countershaft. This turned out to be exactly what it was. Picture, below, as a caution to others: shift your TR3 right!

The car was off the road a hair over a month as I squeezed the tear-down of two transmissions, and reassembly of one, in between the rest of what I do. Coupled with the notion that, since I'm in here anyway, I want the OD to work better. I have always felt that the engagement/disengagement times were just too long. The fellow that sold me the unit sent me a new accumulator spring, and a modified (bigger drain hole) actuator stem -- for free! I just had to wait for them. When I put the thing back on the road, I was VERY happy. Everything in the OD transmission worked just great!

Moseso
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Then, after I'd been driving the car for only about a week, some moron in a Toyota Corolla had an attention deficit event on the commute home. I am fine. Not even a little bit sore the next morning.

But -- LOOK AT MY CAR!!

tdskip
07-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh no!

kodanja
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">OUCH~!!!!</span></span> :wall:

TR4nut
07-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Oh fer crying out loud, between you and Dan, this is getting painful! I am truly sorry that you have to deal with this.

TR3driver
07-10-2009, 11:59 AM
What a shame!

But at least it looks repairable. I'm currently stripping the TR3A that my late wife gave me for a birthday present over 20 years ago, as it was just too far gone. Ironically, it was also an inattentive Toyota driver that got me!

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/DSCF0080.jpg

Moseso
07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah -- It's repairable. I think that there is not any damage to the body tub. The rear wing looks toasted, though I haven't consulted with the artisan body guy yet. The door looks a bit beyond pounding out too.

So -- Now that I have y'all's attention... Does anybody have a good used (left side) door or rear wing for TS51006L? It's going to be an insurance job. I will pay money.

martx-5
07-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I should have a door...maybe a wing. I'll check when I get home.

Twosheds
07-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Hey! I have a countershaft that looks just like yours. Only with a nice rust patina.

I have been saving it for years. Was thinking of mounting it on a walnut base or something for a Hard Luck Award like Toronto Triumphs'.

Moseso
07-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I like your idea, John.
You said you had experience with the problem, when you correctly diagnosed the sounds I posted to the forum. Now we BOTH know what it sounds like -- and looks like. :smile:

NickMorgan
07-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Oooh. Sorry to see the damage. Glad you are OK, though. I guess your left elbow was only about an inch away from the Toyota.
You have to drive so defensively in these cars. I don't know what it is about them, but people either don't see them or expect them to be driving very slowly.

Moseso
07-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks, Nick --
I AM glad I had both hands on the wheel at that moment. I often rest my arm along the top of the door -- that's what cutaway doors are FOR, fer Pete's sake -- or reach over it to ash my cigarettes.

Re: defense. This guy just came out of nowhere and nailed me. Never saw him til after the impact. I was in the center of three lanes, with a black Kia more-or-less abreast in the left lane, perhaps slightly ahead of me. Traffic was slowing (going home from work time) and the guy behind the Kia said his foot slipped off the brake. He just jerked the wheel to the right, in an attempt to miss the Kia in front of him. He didn't. His left-front corner nailed her right-rear corner real good. Then he got me, in the next lane. I think I could have been driving an arrest-me red Escalade and he still would have swerved into me. Too bad I wasn't driving a Peterbuilt tractor. Then it would have messed him up worse than me. The reason I'm so certain that he didn't look to see if there was anything making the right swerve a bad idea is that there was, in fact, a fully unoccupied left-shoulder lane to his left. That's where anyone who had the least clue where they were in space would have gone.

Don Elliott
07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Moses - I'm not a musician and I can't sing, but I can vocalize the sound of that gearbox in first and in reverse. It goes ueuerrrhhhh-ueuerrrhhhh-ueuerrrhhhh-ueuerrrhhhh-ueuerrrhhhh-ueuerrrhhhh

How do I know you ask ? I had to listen to this "music" from my lower lay gear shaft at 43,000 miles from new, then again in 1990 at 80,250, and finally in 2004 at 160,000 miles. One sort of gets used to it. But be careful. Make a full stop at stop signs and red lights or this tune can really grow on you.

PeterK
07-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I witnessed a wreck once where a MG was in the left lane and 18 wheeler in the right. The MG turned hard right and the 18 wheeler ran over the top of the hood. Lucky MG driver was not hurt. People just don't pay attention.

Sorry about your 3. Make sure that your are completely indemnified (the insurance term meaning to be made whole.) Accept no less.