PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A fan pully extension for a tr-3 1957

captainde
07-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Hello fellow triumphers, can anyone tell me what the difference in length is between the tr-4A fan pully extension and the early tr-3 extension? My tr-3 has a tr-4 engine and I believe the fan pully extenson is making the fan way to close to the radiator, 3/8", And it may be effecting the pulling of air through the radiator, when I let the clutch out the torque of the engine causes the fan to contact the radiator fins. I know that Moss lists a different part number for the tr-3 and tr-4 extension. Does anyone have a tr-3 extension available for sale?

Thanks,
captainde

Moseso
07-09-2009, 08:38 PM
While I don't have one to sell you, I can tell you that you DO need one. The TR3 fan pedestal is shorter. The fan contacting the radiator is bad. And, you'll never get a new fan belt on (when the time comes) with such a small clearance between fan and radiator.

captainde
07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info on the fan extension hopefully I can pick one up at a local swap meet.

TR4nut
07-09-2009, 09:17 PM
The TR3 pedestal is 3/4" shorter than on a TR4. Those pedestals come up quite often on ebay as well, for not too much money. I also think Moss has them new, as I bought one for my TR4 a couple of years ago. You'll also need a shorter dog bolt, or shorten the one you have.

Adrio
07-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Also, if I remember the "problem with using a TR3 extension in a TR4" from when I did not know there was a difference, the TR4 extension is slightly skinnier to clear the cross member on the TR4.