PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A TR4A Dual Exhaust Question

CinneaghTR
07-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I need to re-hang my dual exhaust system (4A solid rear axle). The DPO had it mounted BELOW the frame and I want to correct that before I wear a hole in an otherwise good exhaust system. The center clamp and bracket that mounts to the transmission is missing. Does anyone have a picture of the correct mounting? The mount should be the same for the 4A IRS and 250/early 6.

I don't have the factory parts catalogue in front of me, but the parts are TRF GEC66 and Moss (#39)812-065/(#40)812-040 and here's an annotated picture from the Moss catalog.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Adrio
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
My TR4A exhaust (Stebro)has dual pipes all the way from front to back. It looks just like the picture you have except there are two separate pipes running from the resonator to the mufflers. As in the resonator has two inputs and two outputs.

As to the centre hanger I don't have one. It is only attached at the manifold and at the back of the mufflers. It is a tight fit inside the centre of the frame but it goes and does not touch anything.

DanB
07-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Mine doesn't have a hanger in the middle either.

Dan B.

So. Charleston, WV

66 TR4AIRS EFI
80 TR7 DHC

TR4nut
07-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Jeremy-

This is not the same as the 4A, but the TR4 mount is pretty similar. Here is an old post discussing this for TR3/4 which has some reference pictures: Transmission hanger mount (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/540036/Re_Tranny_rear_exhaust_mount_F#Post540036)

The 4A part has a longer drop down stem that attaches to the pipe clamp, roughly 1/2" longer I would guess. But the layout should be about the same, as I have a 4A manifold and downpipe on my TR4 and it routes to the same location.

Randy

CinneaghTR
07-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks everybody for your input.

Randy, does that mean I have to get that bracket between the transmission and the frame? If so, no wonder they are left off.

jessebogan
07-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Probably between the nut and the bottom of the frame. Easy enough in theory.... but trying to hold up the pipe and start the nut?? Much gnashing of teeth .