PDA

View Full Version : Ignition revisited....

08-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Dear All,
Time to revisit the oft discussed topic of electronic vs stock ignition. I have always stated that points are the way to go but now am beginning to rethink this in favor of a Petronix electronic ignition. The latest TRF catalog shows this unit as an alternative to points over what they previously sold, the old Crane setup (which I went through 3 sets before I pitched them). I am wondering if there are any downsides to the Petronix setup and if so, what. Cheap enough to carry a spare if it shuts down, like the Crane used to. Anyway, a stale subject but certainly pertinent.

Bill

Mickey Richaud
08-25-2004, 11:35 AM
I've had my Pertronix now for a bout a year, and no problems. I carry a spare set of points and condenser just in case, and at some point may invest in a spare distributor already set up, to make the change a quick one. But the car starts much more quickly than before, though honestly, I haven't noticed any difference in performance. Again, it's a toss-up.

Mickey

mike crane
08-25-2004, 04:55 PM
This weekend my Pertronix signed off on me (Second incident). As I carry a spare set of points I was able to get going. I am just going to stick with points from now on. If you are running a Pertronix make sure you have a back-up.

08-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Mike,
That is exactly the answer that I didn't want to hear. Having been through the very same thing THREE times with my old Crane ignition, I indeed went back to points and condenser. I just thought that because TRF was now selling the Petronix brand instead of the Crane, maybe they knew something that I didn't know. You are right, easy to carry extra points and cheaper. Just hoping against hope that something new or better was on the market. Really have no problems with points, just the wear and tear factor that had me a bit off center. Thanks again, and you too Mickey.

Bill

donbmw
08-25-2004, 10:30 PM
I have had the Perteronix installed in my TR3 for more than 3 years and many thousands of miles. Have not had any problems. I will always carry set of point for a backup. I have had Dyna points elemimnator on my 1979 R90 BMW for over 15 years and have never had any problems with it. This is the only way to go starts easy and timing has not needed setting. I have more problems with rotor caps cracking and ground out leaving me on the side of the road I carry extras for that. The last time that happen I had AutoZone order one and have not changed anymore.