PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Spare Wheel Door rubber gasket - TR3

Brooklands
07-06-2009, 10:13 AM
My spare wheel door has no rubber gasket to prevent rubbing and rattling. I purchased the rubber from TRF, but it has no illustrations of how to install it, and I could not find anything showing up in my Piggot book, (at least not close enough to see how it fits) or in my Haynes manual. Has anyone replaced this, and if so I need lots of advice. Thanks.

Brooklands
07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
The rubber is shaped kind of like an arrow, so I have tried to just compression fit the head of the arrow into the groove of the body of the car with the "shaft" of the arrow facing out. I have not trimmed the end yet to finalize the size of the gasket. Does anyone use adhesive for keeping this in, or does the long time of compression from the door being in place make this more permanent?

Geo Hahn
07-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I used a light adhesive (contact type like for car interior) as I found the ends wanted to fall out when the lid was removed.

NickMorgan
07-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I glued mine on, but it doesn't sound as though it is the same profile as yours. Mine was more like the shape of a comma and I glued the flat thick end to the body so that the pointed end went against the spare tyre lid.