PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Replacement Battery for TR-3?

DonP
08-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi Guys.

I'm about to "revive" my TR-3B (TCF68L) that I have had since 1967 when I proudly drove it out of Calumet Auto Wreckers yard.

For the last 8+ years it has been sitting in my heated garage. I disconnected the battery but, alas the old battery gave up the ghost.

I'm putting it back to driver status over the next few months and wondered where folks are getting their replacement batteries? I'm not sure the local NTB will even have a reference for a '62 3B.

I did a search and couldn't find any info on recommendations for a replacement battery. I don't need the Lucas look-a-like for shows or anything, just 12 volts to crank it up when the mood strikes me.

Any and all recommendations and input will be appreciated.

Don P.

Mickey Richaud
08-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Hi Don, and welcome to the Forum.

When I restored my '57, I put a group 41 (41-2) in mine. It fit nicely and filled up the battery box - just right for the hold-down brackets.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Mickey

Winston
08-24-2004, 01:29 AM
I'd check an Optima if you can swing the bucks.

Mine is from Walmart.

Steve
08-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Yes, an Optima is certainly the dog's whatsits.......however, Batteries Plus (I'm sure there's on close to you, they are all over the place around Milwaukee) should have something. To keep the battery in good shape, take it out in the cold months, store it in your basement. A Battery Tender is a nice thing to have, as it maintains optimum charge levels without over-charging the battery, and is a worthwhile addition no matter whos battery you end up buying.

MDCanaday
08-27-2004, 10:36 PM
I think that a really massive battery ,with large reserves will make the old generator last longer,( and get you home when it dies). So I say fill up the hole with the baddest sucker you can fit into it.This also makes the battery last longer since it doesnt work as hard ....just my opinion but little batterys have allways caused me grief.
MD(mad dog)

Kurtis
08-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Don,

When I decided to replace the battery in my '63 TR4, I walked into AutoZone, told them I needed a battery for a '63 Triumph TR4, they punched it up on their computer and then handed me a battery. It's a Duralast (their brand). It fit perfectly and works fine.

Kurtis