PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3A needs tires

Got_All_4
06-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Only had time to stop at a local tire shop looking for new tires for the 3. They have basically nothing and I don't have a clue what to get. They said to go on line and find something and have them shipped there.

There are bias ply Firestones on there now and wanted something that tracks and grips the road better. Would also like white walls too. I bought these in the 80s and although there is some thread left I just don't trust them. Need some ideas.

NutmegCT
06-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Have to say I'm really happy with my Kumho 758 tires (165/80-15). I had my local tire shop order them - think they were around $45 each.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/gallery/49/medium/7922.jpg

One other thing - check that your wheels are true. My original steels were NOT, so I got the Minators on sale at Moss. Perfect tires on wobbly wheels aren't fun. (Also, tires that you bought in the 1980s are likely to be unsafe.)

Hope this helps.
Tom

JohnnyMead
06-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Vredestein makes the original 165-15. I bought a set from a west coast store. The shipping was steep, but the was price very reasonable. I like how they look and drive.
John
TS75605L
Carbondale, IL

Andrew Mace
06-30-2009, 08:39 AM
...There are bias ply Firestones on there now and wanted something that tracks and grips the road better. Would also like white walls too.... Not cheap, but one of these might serve you well: whitewall radials (https://store.coker.com/search.php?mode=search&by_title=Y&by_shortdescr=Y& by_fulldescr=Y&substring=165R15&__utma=1.577152200 967132800.1244488894.1245682271.1246369068.3&__utm b=1.1.10.1246369068&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1244488894.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(d irect)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=67845393).

Bob_Muzio
06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
If you're in a rural area try accessing Tire Rack on the internet. They'll ship to you or to a tire store in your areas for mounting. I've had the Kumhos for several years on my TR4 and I'm happy with them. They do seem tracking sensitive to freeway rain grooves and the narrower track of the TR3 might exaggerate that.
Bob

Don Elliott
06-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm more than satisfied with the four 165-15 Vredesteins (Made in Holland) on my 1958 TR3A. Cost me $300.00 for all four up here in Canada. I bought them in June 2006 and have driven 11,000 miles since.

Perrymip
06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I'm more than satisfied with the four 165-15 Vredesteins[/QUOTE]

Likewise. These are the nicest tires I've ever had: road-worthiness and looks. I had to deflate the spare to get it in, but then I always had to do that with Michelins as well.

They're pricey. I got Sprint Classics here (https://www.vredesteintire.com/index.asp).

Don Elliott
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Mine are the Sprint + (plus).

TR3driver
06-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I had to deflate the spare to get it in, but then I always had to do that with Michelins as well. One alternative to that is to use a "compact" spare tire. Don't recall the exact size offhand (might be T125/70D15), but there is a standard "temporary use spare" tire size that fits right onto the stock TR3 rims and slides easily even into the earlier spare tire wells (which were smaller than the post-60K ones). I rolled up an "emergency" blanket to fill the space so it didn't slide around.

TR4nut
06-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Randall-

I've been thinking along those lines but didn't realize I could buy a emergency tire to fit a stock rim - any tips on what brand/ where you purchased?

randy

NickMorgan
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I really don't think you can beat the Vredestein Sprint +. They don't have white walls and the lettering on the sidewalls is not very period. However, I asked this same question last year and Don amongst others recommended them. They have superior grip and handling characteristics to my previous Goodyears. They really suit the TR3's ride characteristics and over in Europe they are also very cheap!! The other great thing about them is that they seem to have raised the ride height very slightly and I can now get the trolley jack under my TR3!

TR3driver
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I've been thinking along those lines but didn't realize I could buy a emergency tire to fit a stock rim - any tips on what brand/ where you purchased?I actually got mine in a junkyard. Think it came off an Nissan Maxima, but don't know for sure (it was laying on the ground next to the car).

I bought the wheel and tire together, thinking I might be able to use the wheel as it had the same bolt circle as the TR. But it turned out to not clear the front calipers, so I had the tire transferred to a TR3 wheel.

Only used it once, but it worked out fine for me. Drove about an hour at around 70 mph on it (which of course is not recommended) with no issues. Since I was using TR6 wheels for my regular tires, there was no way the flat would fit in the spare tire well, so it rode home behind the seats.

A quick Google turns up all sorts of cars that use that size spare (92 Cadillac Fleetwood, 02 Honda Accord, 01 Pontiac Grand Am, etc.); and several brands (Goodyear, Yokohama, Firestone); but I don't see them listed on any tire company or dealer web sites.

I'll check the brand &amp; exact size of mine later tonight and post it here.

martx-5
06-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I also opted for the Vredestein Sprint Classic on my TR3. However, I went to 185/70-15 on 5" wide wire wheels. I got the whole package from Hendrix wire wheel. They re-trued the new wire wheels (they like to keep the tolerances tight), mounted the tires with new tubes, balanced the assembly and shaved the tires true. Yes they did shave them...you could tell when they arrived. It cost an arm and a leg. :eeek: But, I'm very happy with the result, and like the look of the wheels and tires.

BTW, I frequent the Ferrari Chat forum because I just like vintage Ferraris. After I had bought the Vredesteins, someone in the vintage forum asked what tires to get for his 275GTB. The MOST recommended tire was the Vredesteins Sprints for both period looks and performance.

Geo Hahn
06-30-2009, 06:00 PM
...There are bias ply Firestones on there now and wanted something that tracks and grips the road better. Would also like white walls too. I bought these in the 80s...

Geez Louise! After running around on 25-year-old bias plys anything you put on there is gonna feel great.

My most recent set was the Kuhmos, the 165/80/15 is very close to the 'metric' 165/15. The Kuhmos are fine though I think they do not look quite period because of that 'corduroy' pattern around the sidewall.

For a ture wide whitewall you are likely looking at a specialty supplier such as Coker.

Got_All_4
06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
I was also told years ago to stay away from radial tires on the TR3. What i can remember is they said the front end was not designed for radials and would make the steering stiff?

Geo Hahn
06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
I believe radials were a factory option when the TR3As were new. As for making the steering stiff -- maybe they meant stiffer.

I suppose radials could be a but harder to steer at low speed, esp if the (my opinion) rather low recommended pressure is used but that would seem a small price to pay for the improved handling.

Got_All_4
06-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Anybody ever hear of Nexen tires. They have a 165 80 15 load index is 87 and speed rating is T. I've been skipping around on the Internet. Not a lot of choices out there especially if your looking for whitewalls. Unless you have $600 + to spend.

TR3driver
06-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Don't recall the exact size offhand (might be T125/70D15), Well, I was close! It's actually a T135/70D15, made by Toyo.

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/DSCF0133.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd
07-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Yes, I have Nexen tires on my 3A. Unfortunately, I personally cannot give you a review of them as I have yet to drive the car as it is undergoing a frame off restoration. I can tell you however that the previous owner of the car liked them very much. If you would like some pics of them mounted on 60 Spoke Painted Wires, please let me know and I would be happy to post some for you.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Marvin Gruber
07-01-2009, 08:42 AM
For the money, Kuhmos. I have them on the TR3 and just got a set for the BJ8 (185/65). Wanted 185/75 for A/H but they didn't offer them.

CinneaghTR
07-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Anybody ever hear of Nexen tires. They have a 165 80 15 load index is 87 and speed rating is T. I've been skipping around on the Internet. Not a lot of choices out there especially if your looking for whitewalls. Unless you have $600 + to spend.

Have you tried these guys?

https://www.widewhitewalltires.com/

I have no experience with them, but they supposedly add whitewalls/stripes to tires in multiple sizes so it might be an option for you.

Also, since you are in NE Ohio, maybe some of the TRA guys could help you out in finding a local shop or supplier?

Finally, if you forego the whitewalls, the Vredestein tires, both the + and Classics, are just great. I can't recommend them enough.

martx-5
07-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Remember Port-A-Walls?? (https://www.portawalls.com/) Hard to believe, but they are still made.

Got_All_4
07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Found a local shop (40 miles away) that has a set of Bridgestone/Firestones. These are not being made now and he purchased a lot of them a couple of years ago. Don't remember if they were white walls but pretty much given up on that idea. $69 ea installed seem cheap.

NutmegCT
07-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Found a local shop (40 miles away) that has a set of Bridgestone/Firestones. These are not being made now and he purchased a lot of them a couple of years ago. Don't remember if they were white walls but pretty much given up on that idea. $69 ea installed seem cheap.

Just a thought - are you concerned about the age of those tires from "a couple of years ago"? There's a school of thought that tires beyond a certain age ... may be unreliable. Several topics in the past here talked about that.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/386562/

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/494089/1

Tom