PDA

View Full Version : TR Bike Rack

BobbyD
06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Trailer Queens........ avert your eyes! Only warning... look away now!

Just in case you're not on the Mail Lists, here's the Bike Rack that I came up with (https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/BikeRack.htm) for my TR6 though I bet it would woirk on any TR with the proper mounting points. Here's a couple of teaser pictures.

https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Bike%20Rack/BikeSide.jpg

https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Bike%20Rack/BikeCar.jpg

rlwhitetr3b
06-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Cool!!

I have been looking at doing something simular to my miata.

mikecyc72usa
06-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I work in the bike industry and this is a pretty well thought out design. Very similar to what I've designed in my head for Triumphs. Cool.

kodanja
06-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I see ya finished it Bob ,

looks great & its a great idea to have a reliable spare~! lol'

tdskip
06-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Sweet! She looks great with the bike and rack on her - I'm digging it Bob.

Very nice design.

pjsmetana
06-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Interesting idea! I was looking into the idea of putting a small collapsible bike in my trunk for if I ever break down out of cell range lol

DNK
06-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Won't read this thread as it PI+++*** the heck out of me!!

TR3driver
06-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Won't read this thread Don, if you're going to claim that, you probably shouldn't reply to the very last post :devilgrin:

I say "Good for you" Bob! It looks great. Not what I would want to do to my car, but if it pleases you, that's <span style="font-weight: bold">all </span>that is important!

Soup
06-28-2009, 08:50 AM
that is awesome and I bet it was fun to plan and build too!!

DNK
06-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Saw his post and photo on the 6pack forum. So I skipped to the bottom of the thread.
Nice things like that irritate me.
Why can't I do stuff like that?

BobbyD
06-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Saw his post and photo on the 6pack forum. So I skipped to the bottom of the thread.
Nice things like that irritate me.

Whew........ thought Don was taking me off of his speed dial list! :nonod:

BobbyD
06-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I say "Good for you" Bob! It looks great. Not what I would want to do to my car, but if it pleases you, that's <span style="font-weight: bold">all </span>that is important!

Thanks Randall..... the way I look at it is.... this is how we used our LBCs back when they were new. My AH3000 had a ski rack (yes I drove it on salt/snow covered Vermont roads) and I can remember laying my bike across the luggage rack and strapping it down! Bet we won't ever see a Healey owner do that today! I figured this was a more "elegant" solution :yesnod: and the whole thing comes off in a matter of minutes. I see guys at shows with picnic baskets strapped to their luggage racks.....now did any of you peeps ever use a picnic basket back in the 60's &amp; 70's? Maybe a cooler full of beer...but a picnic basket.... never happened back then. :driving:

tdskip
06-28-2009, 06:12 PM

Because you have a teenager at home?

DNK
06-28-2009, 06:46 PM

tdskip
06-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Well there you have it Don - amazing you can even keep up on the forums.

BobbyD
06-28-2009, 07:42 PM

No wonder you're a man of few words.....you can't get a word in edge-wise!

mikecyc72usa
06-28-2009, 10:39 PM
I saw a TR3a on the Thruway when I was a kid passing us with a sidemounted ski rack with two pairs of skis heading north towards Albany and I guess the Adirondacks, since they had passed the catskills already. Funny thing was my dad said he remembers those racks for sale at the dealer he got his TR3a from, and you couldn't get out of the passenger door with the rack on. When I was a junior in high school in the late 80's I recall a beat up TR4 passing us southbound by Harriman on the Thruway. It had a styrofoam cooler on the luggage rack, no top, the occupants were bundled up (it was spring break and cold that morning) and I wanted to be that cool. Not literally. I used to have a roofrack on my GT6 to go to bike races in the midwest, and had one on my TR7 coupe as well. Hey, these are cars and should be used as such is my opinion.

Adrio
06-28-2009, 10:43 PM
nothing to do with ski racks or bike racks or even Triumphs, but speaking of using LBC for different things, check out this listing (or should I say the picture in the listing) of an LBC that is for sale. It seem the picture may be old.

https://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-AUSTIN-HEALEY-1956-W0QQAdIdZ137909290

DNK
06-28-2009, 11:41 PM
They're locked in a closet at night.

BobbyD
06-29-2009, 07:52 AM
The ski rack on my Sprite and then my AH3000 attached to the luggage rack and the skis mounted front to back. The ski rack angled them up over the top. After I broke my leg skiing, the ski rack was used to hold my crutches. It takes "talent" to depress a clutch with a toe to hip plaster cast on your left leg! The one thing I never saw back then was a picnic basket on a luggage rack yet there's a thread going on about that subject..... :jester:

martx-5
06-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Back in the early '70s I had a ratty TR3 that I took the passenger seat out of so I could load my Yamaha 250cc dirt bike in. Too bad I don't have a picture of that...it was quite a sight! :crazyeyes:

TexasKnucklehead
06-29-2009, 01:38 PM
That's great. I love it.

But, you might consider beefing up the attachment points of the luggage rack. I don't know if mine is original or not, but the only thing holding my rack to the trunck is gravity and 4 small self tapping screws. The added wind resistance of a bike (or two) is considerable, and I'd hate to be behind you at 70mph if the whole thing decides to let loose. (I understand you also have the front fork attachmant points.)

-I have taken my 36" unicycle strapped to the rack from Houston to Pennsylvania and I got a few looks.

pjsmetana
06-29-2009, 05:16 PM
... my 36" unicycle strapped to the rack...

HAHAHAHA My hats off to you sir! :bow:

BobbyD
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
That's great. I love it.

But, you might consider beefing up the attachment points of the luggage rack. I don't know if mine is original or not, but the only thing holding my rack to the trunk is gravity and 4 small self tapping screws. The added wind resistance of a bike (or two) is considerable, and I'd hate to be behind you at 70mph if the whole thing decides to let loose. (I understand you also have the front fork attachmant points.)

-I have taken my 36" unicycle strapped to the rack from Houston to Pennsylvania and I got a few looks.

My rack is installed with bolts and nyloc nuts so the whole trunk lid would have to rip off....... but I do plan of checking it often to make sure all is tight.

TRMark
06-30-2009, 10:59 PM
I built and installed a simple receiver hitch on my 4, I then built a rack for a folding bicycle. One of those really cheap buggers they sell on ebay. The rack is hinged to move out of the way so I can open the trunk. It only carries one bike, but it gets me to the park along the river so I can ride the trails.
https://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/416871246_7f3baf3ec9.jpg