PDA

View Full Version : GT6 GT6 front boots grease or oil?

19_again
06-21-2009, 04:09 PM
starting to put the front end back together, what is recommended lubricant for the boots? I've searched the archives and seen references to overfilling them. I have also seen the Lucas red#2 grease mentioned, the 80 weight gear oil and regular bearing grease. Bentley says consult booklet that came with car, well that's not gonna happen!
Thanks, Mike

TR3driver
06-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Bentley says consult booklet that came with car, well that's not gonna happen!Why not? Reprints of the owner's handbook are only $16 @ TRF; less if they're on sale.

Assuming you are talking about the steering rack boots, my GT6 manual says to use 1/2 oz of Retinax 'A' grease in them. I assume that "CV Joint grease" available at your FLAPS is an adequate substitute.

19_again
06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
I never noticed them to tell the truth, I will order one forthwith. As far as 1/2 oz of grease is concerned, what exactly is the application procedure? How does one distribute 1/2 oz of grease throughout a boot that's 10 inches long? It seems as if there isn't enough to make a difference, should I apply the grease to the components themselves that will be protected by the boot. I have already greased the steering "hub" with the 5 pumps from the grease gun.

TR3driver
06-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Beats me ... personally I would just grease the joint liberally and not worry about the boot, but that's not what the GT6 book says.

It is, however, what the Stag book says and I don't see any essential difference between the two (other than the Stag joint & boot being larger).

19_again
06-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks Randall, as usual it reduces down to "apply liberal amounts of common sense". Of course with stuff like steering it doesn't hurt to check. Thanks again.

svtmikey
06-24-2009, 10:59 PM
I think when they say don't over fill them the reference in the book they are refering to pumping way too much grease into them. I have done this myself with a Pnuematic grease gun.....not paying attention and the rubber boots will actually blow out and leak grease all over the place. Not a big deal since you can remove the grease and refit the boots no problem but if you didn't notice, dirt and water would eventually get in and speed the wear of them. They just want you to know more is not necessarily better.

That's the way I read it anyway.

Mikey

DaveatMoon
06-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Bentley says consult booklet that came with car, well that's not gonna happen!Why not? Reprints of the owner's handbook are only $16 @ TRF; less if they're on sale.
Isn't the Owner's Handbook reproduced in the Bentley Manual for the GT6? It comprises the first 35 pages of my TR6 Bentley Manual.

70herald
06-25-2009, 12:03 AM
not paying attention and the rubber boots will actually blow out and leak grease all over the place. Not a big deal since you can remove the grease and refit the boots no problem
Mikey

Ha That is quite a fun job trying to get a greasy piece of rubber back onto the rack!

TR3driver
06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Isn't the Owner's Handbook reproduced in the Bentley Manual for the GT6? Yes, in fact my GT6 Bentley has 3 different versions of the owner's handbook in it. But it's rather more expensive; TRF has the Bentley on sale for $70 & the regular price is $83. Perhaps it's cheaper elsewhere?

19_again
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I have both bentley books (the B and the GT) and they do indeed have the manual up front. I always just go to the Bentley, I have never considered it as anything other than that. TRF lists the factory GT6 manual on CD. I picked up the MG book ($59.95) right at the Bentley office in Cambridge, but had to get a used Triumph book at Ebay for $49.00. I tried to get the GT6 Bentley book from them directly but they had none nor was production scheduled. BUT the regular price was never $83.00, Bentley's GT6 manuals have a list of $59.95 (https://www.bentleypublishers.com/triumph/gt6/).
This is a problem I have with certain suppliers who inflate prices in order to lower them for a "sale". That having been said, if Bentley doesn't have any and you need one now, then the law of supply and demand kick in. But all too often I find that quick or short term "sales" are not reduced prices at all. The supporting vendors often have lower prices.