PDA

View Full Version : DGV adjusts and 3 line dipstick - Latest

pjsmetana
06-21-2009, 09:27 AM
The rebuild of my carb went great, and after installing and following Webers adjustment instructions, then Doc's, I have it set perfect now!

As far as my 3 line dipstick goes... the oil leak has been traced down to it, and it alone. I was unable to locate a dipstick replacement, but I did get the new felt seal. I replaced the felt seal, straightened this bent as heck dipstick, put in 1/2 a quart of oil (makes me @ 4 QTs, minus leaking oil), started the engine, and now I'm spitting oil out of the dipstick tube. Even at Idle its a fairly violent sputter of oil. The stick now moves around a lot and wont even sit in the hole without moving easily now.

I think maybe it was supposed to be bent the way it was... :wall:

Also I'm starting to think I have the wrong dipstick.

Can someone PLEASE take a picture of their dipstick so I can bend mine into proper shape, and also measure the lines and length of the stick so I can stop pulling my hair out?

1980 Triumph Spitoil... not as snappy of a name m'thinks

philman
06-21-2009, 11:22 AM
you might be pressurizing the crank case for some reason. last time I remember oil spitting out the dip stick tube I had a blown head gasket on my Fiat 850.

kodanja
06-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Phil,

How do ya do that?

philman
06-21-2009, 11:33 AM
combustion gasses being forced into the oil channels or crankcase somehow. It was a Fiat, somehow the Italians figured out how to accomplish that.

Don_R
06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Seen it happen with broken compression rings. Pressure leaks past into the crankcase. Should have a cylinder down on compression. If thats the problem a dry/wet compression test should show it.

Don_R
06-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Pete,

Here are some pics of the stick from my 73.

The bottom line is 1.125" from the bottom of the stick
The top line is 2.200" from bottom of stick

Hope this helps

TR3driver
06-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Seen it happen with broken compression rings. While at the AGSEM (https://www.agsem.com/) show yesterday, I saw a "hit & miss" engine that made the point very clear: Every time it would fire, it would blow a puff of blue smoke into what would be the crankcase on a car engine.

pjsmetana
06-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Pete,

Here are some pics of the stick from my 73.

The bottom line is 1.125" from the bottom of the stick
The top line is 2.200" from bottom of stick

Hope this helps

It helps a TON! Time to go measure the lines and bend up a perfectly straight stick! THANK YOU THANK YOU!