PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Help

Gliderman8
06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Since I recently got my headlights back into my TR6 they need to be aimed. Does anyone have information on the correct procedure to aim them?
Should it be done with someone sitting in the drivers seat?
Thanks for any assistance.

Andrew Mace
06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
There should be a procedure in the Workshop (Bentley) Manual?

Gliderman8
06-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Andy- You are correct... I did check the Bentley manual before posting. They say you should use a Lucas "Beamsetter", "Lev-L-Lite" or a "Beam Tester".
Is there a way to do it by making some sort of "target" on a wall and just aiming them?
I guess if all else fails, I would take a trip to my auto store to see if they have a "beam setting tool".

Andrew Mace
06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Sorry 'bout that! I thought I remembered alternative methods described in some of the manuals.

I'm surprised that EVERYONE doesn't have a Lucas Beamsetter. :wink:

Basically, though, I think the typical practice is to measure distance between headlamp centers and distance from same to the ground, transfer those measurements to a wall, and then aim the beams just below and right of center from about 25' back (possibly with a typical driver-weight "load" in that seat).

Gliderman8
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Andy- My Lucas Beamsetter is not working, and I don't know where to take it for service :devilgrin:

The procedure you describe is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

Tomster
06-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Here is a be-utiful British one:
https://www.gransfors.co.uk/small%20splitting%20axe.JPG

Andrew Mace
06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Uh, Lucas BeamSETTER, not BeamSPLITTER!?

DougF
06-20-2009, 12:30 AM
I used a garage door.

BobbyD
06-20-2009, 07:53 AM
I used my garage door as the "aiming" point when I set my headlights. The door has the various panels that gave me a horizontal and vertical aiming point.

hondo402000
06-20-2009, 07:55 AM
I used the garage door too, drove around got flashed by on comming cars, adjusted the headligts down a little, drove around got flashed, repeated untill no one seem to be bothered and done. correct maybe

Gliderman8
06-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks Bob. I was planning on doing the same thing today, but it is pouring out (again! 10 days of straight rain).
I'm getting ready to leave in the few mins to go look at a Toyota 5-speed for a possible conversion of my car.
I read everything you had on your website regarding what to look for. Hopefully this transmission will be a keeper, but with all the mods that they made on the w-58 the odds are against me.

TR3driver
06-20-2009, 10:08 AM
I've even used my pants leg as an aiming target, since my driveway isn't long enough. Park the car on a reasonably flat road with the headlights on high beam. Stand right in front of the car and note where the brightest part hits your leg, then walk about 20 feet away and see if the bright spot is the same height. With it centered on your leg you can also look back at the car and see if you are straight in front of the headlight.

Gliderman8
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Randall-- A novel approach to aiming my headlights!
If I don't get it done today or tomorrow it will have to wait until next weekend. The rain here has been non-stop which means I have to keep up with mowing the lawn.