PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 Uproar

aeronca65t
06-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I guess the FOTA have finally had enought of Mosley and Ecclestone

~LINK~ (https://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=46159)

Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, Brawn, Toyota, Renault, and BMW Sauber have all decided to start their own series!

Quote from ITV:

"The Formula One Teamsí Association has thrown the sport into total chaos by announcing its eight members will set up their own breakaway series at the end of the season."

ecurie_ecosse
06-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Interesting stuff. It really was only a matter of time for this to happen.Both Bernie and Mosley seem to have lost the plot somewhere. :rolleyes:

Stuart. :cheers:

rick_ingram
06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
This is a good sign in my book.

aerog
06-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Me too. I hope they manage to go back to some of the more traditional European locations.

drooartz
06-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Definitely a good sign. I want to see those teams move to LeMans racing, myself.

aeronca65t
06-18-2009, 09:49 PM
......I want to see those teams move to LeMans racing, myself.

Ditto.

I've never been a big fan of Lawn Darts.

I'd love to see some of those guys build real sports cars.

drooartz
06-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I've never been a big fan of Lawn Darts.
I love the term!

I really want to see those manufacturers making prototype sports cars. How fantastic would it be to have Ferrari, McClaren, Audi, Peugeot, etc. all competing together. Now that is racing I'd watch.

bgbassplyr
06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
This will be the Euro version of USAC & IRL. Get ready for a mess. What will the sponsers do? Who will they suport? Who do the track owners go with? Support of one group will mean what to the other classes sanctioned by the FIA?
I forsee a year or twoof no good for the sport.
Just my opinion, of course.

Shane
06-19-2009, 12:30 AM
This will be the Euro version of USAC & IRL. Get ready for a mess. What will the sponsers do? Who will they suport? Who do the track owners go with? Support of one group will mean what to the other classes sanctioned by the FIA?
I forsee a year or twoof no good for the sport.
Just my opinion, of course.

It might be a mess, but the sponsors will most likely follow Ferrari wherever they go. Track owners will most likely do the same thing since most fans go to see the red cars run. Plus, F1 has had a horrible relationship with the track owners and the cities that host the event over the past few years. Bernie demands a LOT of money to for them to have the honor of hosting a F1 race. And when the money is there, he still messes it up. Look at Montreal, one of the reasons Honda pulled out last year is the fact that there were no plans for a North American race and that is where their economic base is. BMW almost did the same thing.

It's really unfortunate that this occurs when Peter Windsor gets the US F1 team approved for next year. But with the big boys not running, it's not really F1 to me.

My only hope is that the new championship series will come to North America. These are absolutely amazing cars, even if they do look like "lawn darts." <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

vagt6
06-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Obviously, this is a very bold move. Reminds me of what the tennis pros did back in '68 when they broke away from the USLTA. If the big names go, the crowds and sponsors will follow.

I wish them all the luck in the world. F1 is the pinnacle of automobile racing, it deserves an honest and just governing body.

Silverghost
06-19-2009, 08:56 AM
F1 is the pinnacle of automobile racing

Nuh-uh, not according to CNN - "From its pre-race spectacle to the winner's ceremonial slurp of milk, "Indy" marks the one-day pinnacle of motor sports" and ABC Wide World of Sports has said so all these years!! :laugh: Ok,ok, just kidding a bit.

Monark192
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
While I think that the Max / Bernie team has indeed lost the plot in the last few years, I fear a split will benefit no one except the attorneys. I can't imagine the FIA side letting the new series hold races at places like Monaco without serious contractural wrangling that last through years of injunctions and counter suits. Look for the new series to initially be forced out to tracks that don't have major FIA contracts, either for F1 or other major race series.

3798j
06-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Max virtually willed/forced this result.
My belief: He's a knucklehead.

ecurie_ecosse
06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
The FIA is sueing the FOTA.Now that didn't take long,did it? :devilgrin: :jester:

Stuart. :cheers:

aerog
06-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Figures. That's Bernie stomping his feet because someone is trying to take his toys away.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/19/fia-sue-fota-formula-one-f1