PDA

View Full Version : Wedge tr7 spurting oil from dipstick

johnrip
08-20-2004, 10:50 AM
I have a 1980 tr7 dhc, and after replacing water pump, the engine is spurting oil from dipstick. I also tightened the smog pump belt...is this related? I am not burning oil, no smoke at all? Where is the crankcase pressure from? The water pump sump hole was leaking oil, that is why I replaced pump? Help please!

Eric
08-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Check your PCV valve. If its plugged, crankcase pressure has nowhere to go. Some crankcase pressure is normal on even a healthy engine, as no rings seal perfectly.

johnrip
08-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Is that the EGR valve, and how do determine if it is working

mailbox
08-21-2004, 06:06 PM
The PCV valve pulls excessive blow-by out of the crankcase and sucks it back into the intake manifold. MOST cars have a valve on the valve cover with a large vaccum hose running to the intake. I don't remember where it is located on a TR7. The EGR valve has nothing to do with crankcase venting.

MDCanaday
08-22-2004, 12:02 PM
I suspect the PCV is reversed in this critter, or he added 5 qts to a full crankcase.
MD(mad dog)

Mark Beiser
08-22-2004, 12:44 PM
The TR7 doesn't have a PCV valve. The takeoff from the rocker cover is baffled, and the line from it tees into the line for the vapor recovery system just before the carbs.

johnrip
09-16-2004, 10:20 AM
thank you , everyone....The car simply stopped spurting...I think the mechanic who did some work on the car, added to much oil on the change. Thank you for the good advice.