PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Oh great - now I have a 4x4 TR6

tdskip
06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
So remember last week the TR6 was sitting too low on the Moss upgraded front springs? Well I took those out and installed a set of TRF upgrade front springs.

The good news - both sides are level now where as previously the drivers side was about 1/2 inch lower.

The bad news - both sides are level at a nose bleed level. I have <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">huge</span></span> amount of gap/space now between the front fender lip and the tire - it looks totally stupid.

CRAP CRAP CRAP.

tdskip
06-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Sorry - still very annoyed. Why the heck do vendors sell stuff that they have to know are unacceptable. I can't imagine that anyone would be happy with what these springs did to my ride height - so why sell the bloody things?!??!

I can't imagine how PO'd I be if I actually paid someone for the labor involved here.

TRMark
06-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Same deal here. I bought upgraded springs for the front of my 63 TR4. It sat high in the front and looked really stupid. At least I have the option of getting shorter spacers or trimming them down. As it is they have sat under my workbench for the last decade+. Beats me why they sell them. You would think every product line offered would be installed and checked before being sold to the public. Seems to me you shouldn't have to heat them with a torch and collapse them to the correct length like a 50's rodder. We have heard this complaint before on the Forum including rear springs for 4A-6.

Gliderman8
06-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Tom as you know I had the same problem with my car. I used new stock springs from Moss and got spacers from Good Parts. It has made things a lot better, and I'm satisfied.

tdskip
06-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys - sorry to have vented last night but this has been really frustrating and it is still beyond me why a vendor knowing sell a bad product.

Mickey Richaud
06-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Folks -

Basil has a policy here that we refrain from bashing vendors. I know it's frustrating when we buy products that don't meet expectations, but we really need to address this directly with the vendors and not here.

Thanks!

TR4A_IRS
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys - sorry to have vented last night but this has been really frustrating and it is still beyond me why a vendor knowing sell a bad product.

This isn't a recent problem, however. I went through nearly the exact same issue about 10 years ago and ended up with some "stock" springs from one of the big three. I think part of the problem is in the engineering/manufacturing. It seems as if the the folks ordering/making these parts just specify a relaxed spring length/diameter and a spring rate. The problem is, if you increase spring rate, you need a shorter spring for the same vehicle weight, or you get a 4x4.

tdskip
06-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Sorry Mickey - just wanted people to know and was pretty hot about it last night.

newmexTR3
06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Again, with all due respect to Basil, I find this policy very awkward. If someone is selling faulty or incorrect replacement parts, we should be able to discuss it here. In this case it may have saved tdskip some money and time.

I will continue to report the bad and good to the forum on parts or experiences I have with the vendors that serve us. In the same way that I will happily share good vendor experiences to better inform my colleagues here, I would feel guilty (if not morally obligated) if I did not share a bad experience that could save people here a headache, dollars, or possibly bodily injury. That being said, there is a difference between bashing and stating the facts.

Fact: TRF's TR6 upgrade springs do not fit correctly on at least one member's car.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing TRF. I am a member of their investor program and they are my #1 vendor when I buy parts.

- my monday morning 2 cents.

Mickey Richaud
06-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Sorry Mickey - just wanted people to know and was pretty hot about it last night.

I understand completely. I bought a set of rear springs for the '73 MGB, and turns out they are the later ones. Looks like someone kicked it in the rear! Hopefully, with some time they'll start sagging...

...just like me! :wink:

DNK
06-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I think Tom could have vented his frustration and still able to post it here. The way to go about it is do it in the form of a shout out question to other buyers of this product.
He could have questioned if these parts where a mistake in manufacturing is a this a normal situation.
I recall that this same issue has popped up before and been questioned by the buyer.

Mickey Richaud
06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Again, with all due respect to Basil, I find this policy very awkward. If someone is selling faulty or incorrect replacement parts, we should be able to discuss it here. In this case it may have saved tdskip some money and time.

I will continue to report the bad and good to the forum on parts or experiences I have with the vendors that serve us. In the same way that I will happily share good vendor experiences to better inform my colleagues here, I would feel guilty (if not morally obligated) if I did not share a bad experience that could save people here a headache, dollars, or possibly bodily injury. That being said, there is a difference between bashing and stating the facts.

Fact: TRF's TR6 upgrade springs do not fit correctly on at least one member's car.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing TRF. I am a member of their investor program and they are my #1 vendor when I buy parts.

- my monday morning 2 cents.

Good point. However, this is Basil's forum, and he is ultimately responsible for anything that goes on here, and he's the one who has to take whatever heat gets generated as a result of posts on his forum. I'm no attorney, but my sense is that the possibility for legal problems with libel issues is very real, and has yet to be tested.

DNK
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
At the same time Mick, don't you think there is a way to get the point across and still be civil and work off your frustration?

Mickey Richaud
06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
At the same time Mick, don't you think there is a way to get the point across and still be civil and work off your frustration?

No names?

DNK
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Don't follow?

TR3driver
06-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Just curious Skip, which part number did you order?

I may be prejudiced, but I do not believe that TRF knowingly sells bad parts. Occasionally there is a mixup; and sometimes they do get screwed by their suppliers ... it happens. But now you are going to call them up and insist that they take back the springs and they will be worse off than if you hadn't bought them in the first place.

And you can bet that, when Charles rebuilt his TR5 last time, the parts he used were NOT obviously wrong.

DNK
06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Ouch!

TR3driver
06-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Basil has a policy here that we refrain from bashing vendors. Perhaps a clarification, Mickey? To me, saying "I bought this part from xxx and it did not meet my expectations because of yyy" is not "vendor bashing". Something like "ZZZ sells junk" is.

Do you disagree? Do we just have to never say we were unhappy?

Mickey Richaud
06-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Guys - I'm just trying to honor Basil's policies. Not trying to be cute here, but if you disagree, perhaps you should take it up with him...

And the point made in the thread is that it was inferred that one of the vendors was "knowingly" selling inferior products.

DNK
06-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Randall, which is just my point. I think Mickey tried to answer but I just didn't follow.

Andrew Mace
06-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Basil has a policy here that we refrain from bashing vendors. Perhaps a clarification, Mickey? To me, saying "I bought this part from xxx and it did not meet my expectations because of yyy" is not "vendor bashing". Something like "ZZZ sells junk" is.

Do you disagree? Do we just have to never say we were unhappy? Personally, I'd like to see that all possible avenues have been explored before someone raises such an issue in a very public forum. It's one thing to just state that "ACME flanges stink"; it's quite another to hear that a: ACME flanges do not fit; b: I have spent x hours with ACME explaining why they don't fit; c: ACME ignores my pleas for help / reimbursement / replacement; and/or d: who will pay the medical bills for Wile E. Coyote when the next ACME items fails due to negligence? :wink:

tdskip
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi guys - I think the spirit of the forum and how we all like to work together is an important thing to honor. I apologize if my frustration came across the the wrong way.

I also think information sharing is important and we need to be able to make sure others are aware of parts issues. After doing a lot of other searches and talking to other people that have used the same part there is an issue here that should be better disclosed. This isn't a one time thing, and removing and refitting the complete front suspension isn't a small amount of time.

TRF has provided me lots of good other parts, I've recently ordered from them, and I'll be talking to them today. How about if we just leave the thread at that so anyone thinking about doing this has some idea of how the part will actually work on the car?

TR3driver
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
And the point made in the thread Thanks, Mickey, I got it.

I understand you are trying to honor Basil's wishes; so am I. Didn't mean to sound negative about it.

Mickey Richaud
06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
No worries at all. It IS a ticklish situation, and we've all been bitten at one time or another, so we can all empathize.

Thanks to all for your understanding!

Mickey

NickMorgan
06-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I think there was some mention of some springs earlier in this post!
Back in 1986 I went through the same pain. Turned out that the uprated springs that were available for the TR4A in those days didn't require the spacer. When I took it out the car sat at the perfect height.
I also fitted uprated rear springs at the same time and that was a different story!

mallard
06-15-2009, 08:33 PM
tdskip I think I still have the four original springs that came off my 25000 mile car 6 years ago in the shed. I put the uprated springs from _ _ _ on during the restoration and all was great.They will settle some. The car sat fine with the original springs, I just did not like the squat when you took off. They are yours if you want them just take care of postage. I know the front springs take a bit of time to change.

pware
06-15-2009, 09:14 PM
When you guys say you purchased a product from the big three, do you mean GM, Chrysler and Ford? I'm new to the british car world so I dont't totaly understand the lingo sometimes. Sorry for my lack of british vocabulary. If you are meaning GM, Chrysler and Ford, how do you know what parts will fit?

tdskip
06-15-2009, 09:32 PM
When you guys say you purchased a product from the big three, do you mean GM, Chrysler and Ford?

Hi there - generally when someone says thet they are referring to (in no particular order) Moss Motors, Victoria British and The Roadster Factory.

tdskip
06-15-2009, 09:34 PM
tdskip I think I still have the four original springs that came off my 25000 mile car 6 years ago in the shed. I put the uprated springs from _ _ _ on during the restoration and all was great.They will settle some. The car sat fine with the original springs, I just did not like the squat when you took off. They are yours if you want them just take care of postage. I know the front springs take a bit of time to change.

Keith - that is <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> generious of you, and I really appreciate the offer. I actually ordered a set of front and rear springs from Goodparts today. I'm tired of messing around with it so just sucked it up and popped for what everyone seems to recommend.

pware
06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Thank tdskip. Now I know. I feel kinda dumb for referanceing brit cars to US manufactuers! but I'm learning! Thanks again.