PDA

View Full Version : Old radiator assembly worth anything?

tdskip
06-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a surplus TR6 radiator assembly.

It needs to be rebuild for sure, not sure it is even worth keeping. I guess if you are doing a rebuild and yours was missing or the dog ate the it someone....

I'm tempted to just toss it but I hate wasting stuff. What do you think guys?

Andrew Mace
06-14-2009, 06:56 PM
If all else is in good shape (top and bottom tanks, brackets, etc.) and all it needs is a new core, I'd say YES. From my experience, the originals were pretty good quality, and I'm not sure that's the case with current repro radiators.

TR6BILL
06-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes, as stated above, if the tank is decent, a complete new core can be soldered in and bring it back to the best quality. Have done it several times over the years. Not really sure of the quality of the new radiators.

PATR8
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Kind of funny you bring this up, I was trying to sale my old TR8 radiator on line and I had a pretty high start price and some guy emailed me and stated it was only worth $50 and "he is an expert" I think I will keep it is he is right but he is persistant and continues to email me to argue his point, I may have to file a cyber PFA to keep him from harrassing me (just kidding)

DNK
06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Major- I'll give you $45

PATR8
06-14-2009, 11:42 PM
I do hate trying to figure out fair prices for parts when I sell them. DNK, I will not take a penny less than $20 and you have to let me pay for the shipping.... Just kidding. I will hold on to it, it makes a neat garage decoration worth more than $50 for me and peace of mind if my current alunumin one were to go.

DNK
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Ata boy, stick to your guns

mallard
06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
I built two sheds for parts, you never know when you may get bumped into.

trfourtune
06-16-2009, 02:21 PM
what's the going rate for scrap brass & copper these days? I've got 2 tr3/tr4 rads that will probably just go for scrap. One might be ok to salvage but i don't want to pay money to find out, the other one is twisted.
R