PDA

View Full Version : Save the Date! Briritsh Invasion at CMP

Hap Waldrop
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Saturday November 14th at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC

Basicly same deal as last year, you get 2 on track sessions on CMP 2.2 mile road coaurse, we will be paced by CMP driving instructor, but it will be a sprited pace. This is the 2nd annual event, the folks that did it last year had a ball. I have more details soon. Here's a few photos form last year.

bob67bgt
06-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Yee haw! i am ready now! Bob

EricG
10-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi Hap-is the British Invasion still on for November 14th? I want to pass the word around to a few other British car friends! Thanks, Eric

bob67bgt
10-21-2009, 06:30 AM
There was a post on another forum by Hap saying its a go for that date. Bob

Hap Waldrop
11-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey Guys, we definately on for Nov. 14th, here's a link to the event flier, if you have any questions call me (864-370-3000) or the Carolina Motorsports Park. If you never been, it just a real laid back evnet where you get to driver your car spritedly on the race track in MG only session, drive at your own pace, fast or slow. Some of use spnt the night at the Colony Inn in Camden, SC and go out to dinner in Camden the night before, we always have a big time. CMP charges us nothoing more than gate fee, $5 a head to get in, and we get two 20 minute session on track during the lunch hour, they will be running a Track car day there, so you can check those guys out as well, even see some motorcylcles do laps. CMP is a nice facility, and they invite us to do this for you all to see the palce and spread the word, I guarantee you will have a great time, come join in the fun.

We normally get ther abpout 10am, park our cars together so we can look, kick tires, tell big stories, and do all the things car people like to do. No helmets are need for the lapping sessions and you can have a passenger/s if you like, if your british car is out of commision, come on in whatever, we just out to have a little fun, real relaxed event/happening.

www.acmespeedshop.com/_images/2009britinvas-s.JPG (https://www.acmespeedshop.com/_images/2009britinvas-s.JPG)

Click on image to enlarge it and print if needed

Gundy
11-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I checked on a trailer rental for the Mk1 today.
Not bad. We're trying to make it down on Friday to
paint Camden red.
Barring the creeks rising we're planning on being there.
I just noticed you wrote MG only session. Are Spridgets allowed? Will I need to stick some MG badges on the Mk1?
I note you mentioned "spritedly" driving. :wink:
I could always take up the rear in the po ol Sprite so as to
not hold up those MGs.
No way Lynn lets me take her B out on a track even if it was a parade lap.
:jester:

Hap Waldrop
11-09-2009, 01:16 AM
I just noticed you wrote MG only session. Are Spridgets allowed? Will I need to stick some MG badges on the Mk1?

My bad, I meant to say LBC session, we're not real uptight, if slomeoen show in a SOB (something other than British) we'll still let you go on track.

EricG
11-09-2009, 08:36 AM
See you there Hap! A group of us from the Columbia British car club will be at the track. Thanks for putting this together for us again. Eric

Hap Waldrop
11-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Good deal Eric, see ya there.

Hap Waldrop
11-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Woooohooo, calling for weather of sunny and mid 70s :smile:

Gundy
11-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Now that, ladies and gents , was a BLAST.
I can't thank Hap enough for making this possible.
Man, Hap, I owe ya a big one.

EricG
11-14-2009, 07:28 PM
David it was great to see your Bugeye up close-that is one fast Healey!!
What a fun track to drive on and a perfect day too. Thanks one more time Hap for getting us out there. Eric

Gundy
11-14-2009, 07:49 PM
David it was great to see your Bugeye up close-that is one fast Healey!!
What a fun track to drive on and a perfect day too. Thanks one more time Hap for getting us out there. Eric

I'm working on editing some of the Goprocamera stuff for
my Youtube site.
Hope to get something up Sunday.
I'll post some pic from the D90 tonight.

Gundy
11-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Here's a few pics i snapped at today's British Invasion at CMP.
Us old geezers got there early.
Nice crowd. Excellent LBCs.

toysrrus
11-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Howdy Folks,

Man, I was thinking about you folks all day. Hap; "Fred & I" were in the garage talking, (Working on my B/E), watching some "Outlaw" Dirt Racing and "Both of Us" said to ea. "Why are`nt we on the CMP track today"!!

Well; For sure next time.

Hey Gundy, Would you please send me the link to your YouTube site when your on the air.

See Y`All Later,

Russ

Gundy
11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
I've uploaded 4 short videos from CMP. I tried to get everyone
in the videos....but I couldn't catch Hap.
https://www.youtube.com/user/oldschoolcruiser

bob67bgt
11-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I only took 4 pics. Here they are. The group from the Metroina MG club had a great time. 3 of us were stuck to Haps bumper. I had my wifes(Lynda) 63 Iris Blue MGB and the car worked great. Bob

toysrrus
11-16-2009, 02:14 AM

Hi There Gundy,

Very Cool Videos! I did`nt hear any "Screeching" tires! Were You going fast or was the MGA, TR6 going slow? How fast were You going into the turns & on the straight aways? What were you "Taching"?

By the way; My B/E needs a "Feul Pump"! I`m getting the "Re-Build" kit for her today. I just may get to drive her before she sells!?!?!?

Wish I were there with You Folks,

Regards, Russ

Gundy
11-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Hi There Gundy,

Very Cool Videos! I did`nt hear any "Screeching" tires! Were You going fast or was the MGA, TR6 going slow? How fast were You going into the turns & on the straight aways? What were you "Taching"?

By the way; My B/E needs a "Feul Pump"! I`m getting the "Re-Build" kit for her today. I just may get to drive her before she sells!?!?!?

Wish I were there with You Folks,

Regards, Russ

I was just having fun...NOT racing. I'd guess I hit about 90mph on the straight a time or two. Those tires were
squealing a bit on most curves. I can hear 'em on the video.
Shifting around 7k with an occasional shift a bit past that.

Mickey Richaud
11-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Looks like you had a blast!

But how did they let you on the track without a helmet? :eeek:

Flash_Harry
11-16-2009, 11:10 AM
David,
Great videos - thanks! I did see my car as you zipped by, and am impressed with your driving. There were a couple of corners that I just could not come close to getting right, but your videos show much better lines. It was a terrific day for a 'spirited' drive.
Harry
'74 B-GT

Gundy
11-16-2009, 12:24 PM
David,
Great videos - thanks! I did see my car as you zipped by, and am impressed with your driving. There were a couple of corners that I just could not come close to getting right, but your videos show much better lines. It was a terrific day for a 'spirited' drive.
Harry
'74 B-GT

Yeah, you guys were awfully nice to slow down and let me pass.
I figured having the camera and running from the rear was my best chance at getting the most cars in the video.
after the first break, I actually started from the very rear
to capture those who started the first session behind me.
Never did catch Hap and The Wild Boys up front.

Hap Waldrop
11-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Because it is a "paced" track session, as you can see it doesn't take much to find a gap and have fun. I was the pace car in my 67 MGB GT, it was my job to take the car behind me at a pace deemed fun, spirited, Bob and the other tow MGBs stayed with me, so I kept a pretty good pace, I instructed a dn won races at CMP, they did fine, we did check up a bit going down the straights, but attacxked the corners. I pretty good friends with the owner and operators of CMP, so let us come paly one a year. It happen on a PDX day and we take a few session during lunch hour. WE just tell people use good common sense, and don't get your self in trouble, truth being most people behave a little better than we expect them, if this was a bunch of 20-somethings with Hondas it probably would work out this well.

Mickey Richaud
11-16-2009, 03:58 PM

Because it is a "paced" track session, as you can see it doesn't take much to find a gap and have fun. I was the pace car in my 67 MGB GT, it was my job to take the car behind me at a pace deemed fun, spirited, Bob and the other tow MGBs stayed with me, so I kept a pretty good pace, I instructed a dn won races at CMP, they did fine, we did check up a bit going down the straights, but attacxked the corners. I pretty good friends with the owner and operators of CMP, so let us come paly one a year. It happen on a PDX day and we take a few session during lunch hour. WE just tell people use good common sense, and don't get your self in trouble, truth being most people behave a little better than we expect them, if this was a bunch of 20-somethings with Hondas it probably would work out this well.

Wasn't trying to be a trouble-maker. I'm just surprised that, with such a litigious world, the track owners didn't require it. Guess I'm just used to everyone looking after me... :wink:

Hap Waldrop
11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Mikey, I understand, it took a little doing to get them to do it, I worried them for a couple of years before they went for it. They fiquire us old British car farts ain't get in too much trouble :smile:

Gundy
11-18-2009, 07:46 PM
This guy was incredible! We watched him do all kind of stuff at CMP last Saturday.
He saw the CMP Youtubes and wondered if I had film of the plane.
Sadly I did not. All I did was gawk in awe.
Enjoy the eye in the sky look at CMP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZPYHGlKk4

toysrrus
11-19-2009, 04:05 AM
Hi Gundy,

Pretty neat Video, "Thanx".

Regards, Russ

PS: How`s little "Sprite" coming along?