PDA

View Full Version : Ugly cars?

Basil
08-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Found this link about "Ugly cars" but I don't agree with all of there assessments. Specifically, I have always liked the Chevy El Camino as a dual purpose vehicle with the utrility of a truck but the look and ride of a car.

Ugly Cars (https://channels.netscape.com/ns/autos/gallery.jsp?floc=g-uglycar1&gname=uglycar&gproj=u&grurl=http%3A%2F%2F apple.netscape.com%2Fapple.adp&photo=1)

Basil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif

Steve
08-17-2004, 11:48 AM
But the car that it was based on was rather a plain-Jane, and the pickup attachment made it more homely still! The function was good, just no thought given to the form, methinks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The Mini pickup was a similar idea, and Ford had a similar vehicle in Europe, based on the Cortina. This didn't appear until the late seventies, so it was based on the Mk IV, but the idea was continued with the Sierra. These were based on attractive vehicles, which helped.

Bruce Bowker
08-17-2004, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Found this link about "Ugly cars" but I don't agree with all of there assessments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you not agreeing. I like a lot of the cars they show. I never thought the Edsel was all that bad. Hardly refer to the grill as urinal shaped either. Not too much different from the shape that Alfa Romeo has had for decades.

Old cliche - "it is all in the eyes of the beholder" - plus how much the media influences us one way or another.

Strange as it may seem, I think the Pacer is cool somehow. I always wanted to put something like a 500 hp engine in one with little if any outside changes and "surprise" people a bit. Same with a Gremlin.

The El Camino and the Ranchero are very cool in my eyes.

I owned a VW Thing here on Bonaire and it was both practical and fun.

Bruce

Steve_S
08-17-2004, 12:33 PM
I agree with all of them, except perhaps the Citation which is so ugly it's neat. The El Camino was practical, but that takes no points off the ugly score!

rulle7
08-17-2004, 12:42 PM
If the El Camino is ugly, what about all the car-based "ute's" down under? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve
08-17-2004, 12:54 PM
But that's because being upside down all the time and having all the blood rushing to their heads makes the Aussies march to the beat of their own drum.......they do things a little differently down there. And long may they continue!

PC
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
..., I think the Pacer is cool somehow. I always wanted to put something like a 500 hp engine in one with little if any outside changes and "surprise" people a bit. Same with a Gremlin....

[/ QUOTE ]
Got a buddy who's an AMC guy, apparently the same 390cid V8 from his Javelin is an easy bolt-in fit into a Gremlin using factory parts.

The Thing is ugly but it's a very cool ugly. Like an F-117 or a (real) HUMVEE they have no "styling". Their forms follow function in the purest sense. They aren't pretty but they function great and look cool.

The Edsel grill by itself might have looked OK. It's the fact that it's bolted into the front of a car that looks like a tile wall with chrome plumbing in a public restroom that makes the statement "Urinal".

The El Camino and Ranchero looked good in their muscle car heyday. Too bad GM didn't know when to quit. Not only is the Citation schnozzed unit pictured seriously ugly in its own right but it's also an embarrassment to fans and owners or earlier models.

PC.

daddytiger64
08-17-2004, 02:44 PM
I am in trouble...they all look good to me. I know a guy who owns 5 Edels, my parents rented a Thing when we were on vacation in Hawaii years ago, I had a buddy with an Gremlin (even with a 304 V-8 it was fast), another friend had an AMC Pacer and a third was into El Caminos.

Personally I was expecting some really, really ugly cars...where people do all sorts of things to them

78Z
08-17-2004, 02:50 PM
this is a much more funny. I don't agree with all of them either but its good for a laugh

https://www.uglycars.co.uk/

daddytiger64
08-17-2004, 02:52 PM
since this a British car forum check out...

https://www.uglycars.co.uk/uglycars.asp

William
08-17-2004, 03:02 PM
I never thought Edsels looked all that bad, if a bit over the top chrome wise, but not extremely so when compared to other fifties American boats. The grille never bothered me, although it is quite unique.

I sorta like early El Caminos, when you could buy them with 396 big blocks and whatnot. Very sixties styling. The AMCs, to me are just plain dumpy (but again, compared to contemporary cars, unique, so I can see where they were going).

-William

TR3cubka
08-17-2004, 04:48 PM
I dont know why people would call an el camino ugly. You might not like them, but i seriously dont think the belong on a list with the gremlin, pinto and thing...

Not to mention their donor model, the chevelle i think, was a pretty decent car in its own right, and both could be made wicked fast with the original V8 blocks. to each their own i guess, but for a car that ran from 59-88 they must not have been that ugly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

waltesefalcon
08-17-2004, 06:51 PM
I agree with all the cars on that list except for the el camino. I thought the earlier ones looked pretty good. I also really like the thing, cool little cars.

waltesefalcon
08-17-2004, 07:03 PM
I just done with the british ugliest cars. Vey funny, although it did include the Daimler Dart and the Bugeye Sprite two cars I have always liked.

Steve
08-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Well the Bugeye is "cute" ugly. I like the look of that as well.

Bruce Bowker
08-17-2004, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am in trouble...they all look good to me.

Personally I was expecting some really, really ugly cars...where people do all sorts of things to them

[/ QUOTE ]

Now for me the link below IS a really ugly car and I am with you Paul, I think those listed on that ugly page are all OK. Don't like the way they were written up either, saying paint came off etc. That has nothing to do with ugly.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...p;category=6472 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2487210730&catego ry=6472)

Basil
08-17-2004, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with all of them, except perhaps the Citation which is so ugly it's neat. The El Camino was practical, but that takes no points off the ugly score!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't explain why, but I always thought the El Camino was a sharp looking car, but then I've never been accused of having impeccable taste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif

Basil

steve99
08-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Bruce I do agree, that cars got about 1500 pounds of ugly it hasn't thought of using yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Basil
08-17-2004, 11:44 PM
That looks like something that was designed by Picaso on a bad acid trip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Basil

Steve_S
08-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Hmmm... fenders inside fenders. Interesting... sorta.

rulle7
08-18-2004, 01:58 AM
0 bids...wonder why... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

JamesWilson
08-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Ugly cars.

Yes, but they seem far too preocupied with the 1970s (4 of 6- the Pacer, Pinto, VW & Gremiln) and American cars (5 of 6).

To arbitrarily pick a non-American non-1970s example, the Daimler Dart deserves a mention in any ugly cars list.

Baxter
08-18-2004, 09:32 AM
As does the Triumph Mayflower, quite a few early (and some later) Japanese efforts, and there's more than a few current road blights.

Steve
08-18-2004, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugly cars.

Yes, but they seem far too preocupied with the 1970s (4 of 6- the Pacer, Pinto, VW & Gremiln) and American cars (5 of 6).

To arbitrarily pick a non-American non-1970s example, the Daimler Dart deserves a mention in any ugly cars list.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1970s were the decade of the ugly car in the USA. There were so many produced that it seems only fair to concentrate on them. I honestly don't know what the designers were thinking of, but they were just plain awful! The 1980s followed suit for a while, but now that a lot of the Japanese design studios are being set up in the States, there has been a trend towards messing those brands up too. The Toyotas and Lexus covertible are cases in point. Yes, the Daimler Dart is a blight on the landscape, but that too was designed for the American market.

European and British cars of this era tended to be rather bland in appearance with a few notable exceptions, so I am not holding those cars up as beacons of desirability, but the American cars of that era really were over the top! There are a few more that I could nominate for that list too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mickey Richaud
08-18-2004, 12:41 PM
[quoteThe 1970s were the decade of the ugly car in the USA. There were so many produced that it seems only fair to concentrate on them. I honestly don't know what the designers were thinking of, but they were just plain awful!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I wonder if it was because of the design restrictions due to the crash regulations. Makes sense, if you think about it. In the sixties, there were some attractive designs, most of which would have been tough to make compliant with the new bumper mandates. Guess it took the designers a while to come up with something that would be attractive, yet comply. Wonder what the Corvair would look like, if it had survived...

Mickey

vagt6
08-18-2004, 04:16 PM
No one mentioned the Ford Pinto? Gosh, they were ugly. One of our neighbors once had a '73 Pinto, two-tone white and orange with an orange, checkered interior.

I'm not kidding. Orange interior, factory option.

AMC Pacers may have been uglier, however.

Steve_S
08-18-2004, 07:12 PM
AMC Eagle. 'Nuff said.

https://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/bttf04.jpg

Randi
08-18-2004, 10:12 PM
hey Basil-I have 5 Edsels (the real beauty is the Bermuda Wagon.....It was Ford's version of a woody in 1958......it had linoleum paneling instead of wood!) I never met an ughly car! Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Geo Hahn
08-18-2004, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AMC Eagle. 'Nuff said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall the Car Talk guys had a theory that AMC staff broke into the Chrysler design studio and stole the sketches that were in the wastebaskets.

78Z
08-19-2004, 01:41 AM
How about this beauty?

https://www.baileycar.com/weird374.gif

daddytiger64
08-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Who said Pintos were ugly? I always liked them and how about...9.72 at 133 M.P.H. with a 514 ci

daddytiger64
08-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Couldn't figure out how to get the picture to show...let's try this again...

https://www.geocities.com/budmanracing/1SMOKEY.jpg

Steve_S
08-19-2004, 01:02 PM

Jim Weatherford
08-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Ugly is, as ugly does. When for follows function, all bets are off. With that said, some of the British cars are just plain old ugly. LOL

sammyb
08-19-2004, 03:56 PM
That list was done by a very lazy and uniformed writer. Basically, they went with the well-known failures, plus the El Camino, because of the perception of it being a farmer's hot rod. The El Camino looked just like Chevelles, so unless they call Chevelles ugly, they have no feet on which to stand. (The first two years of El Camino were actually full-sized frames, so they look like Impalas.)

There are so many uglier cars than many on that list, although I'd agree the Pacer and Gremlin were pretty dreadful.

My list of ugliest cars:
- 1940 Crosley Series 2A: Like the homely 4'10" girl your mom told you to take out because she had "a great personality."
- 1961 Dodge Lancer: Creases in all the wrong places. Looks like the lady who works at the library and stinks of mothballs.
- 1958 Packard/Studebaker Hawk: Looks like a catfish with wings. Even the Packard Golden Hawk's supercharger can't save this thing.
- AMC Pacer - Who cares about luggage capacity if the car is that ugly?
- Continental MK III -- It's like they had five designers all working completely independently from each other. A classic example of "more is less," with too many lines, angles, curves, cutouts, and other elements. It's also the longest two door convertible in the history of American production vehicles!
- 1961-1968 Amphicar: Every bad styling cliche in one little rust-bucket, although endearingly cute.

And I'll probably think of others later.

78Z
08-19-2004, 04:21 PM
I've alway thought the Ami 6 was the most ugly car

https://grumlt.citrina.lt/autos/Ami/1968_Citroen_Ami_6_berline.jpg

Steve_S
08-20-2004, 01:24 AM
Oh dear lord. My eyes!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Steve
08-20-2004, 01:53 AM
Yes, the Ami was pretty bad.....

Steve_S
08-20-2004, 02:31 AM
Now that my sight has returned I took a second look at the Ami. That thing looks ****** off!

Super 7
08-21-2004, 09:31 PM
There is a Borgward Isabella sitting in Anchorage. It is about as attractive a Bag of broken hammers. I owned a Renault Dauphine (well, 3 of them). Ugly.

People like to rag on the American finned wonders of the 50's 60's (mostly for good reason IMO), but what about the Mercedes sedans of the 60's with the fins? Pretty bad. The BMW's emulating those were at least as bad, the 1800 and the 2000?

My Dad had a NSU Prinz, the roundy one not the boxy one, that thing could have grown up to be a Dauphine some day.

There were Datsuns in the 70's with a droopy crease on the side, the 610? The 60's Datsun with the sagging tail was bad. Although I like them to drive, what is up with that bent up looking tail on the Alfa Milano? The FIAT 124 Sedan was ugly to me too, although I would gladly buy a TC version if I could find a nice one.

And while the Daimler Dart and Triumph Mayflower may have targeted the American market, they both missed it by many miles. Like the Norton Hi Rider and the Triumph Bonneville Specials did years later. The Dart looks a lot like the lovely "StudiPackard" noted earlier on the list.

When I see a Chrysler TC or a Cadillac Alante, I still think to myself, Wow! Somebody bought one!

Steve
08-21-2004, 11:56 PM
I have a nominee for the ugly cars currently in production.....the Chevy Monte Carlo.

rulle7
08-22-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that my sight has returned I took a second look at the Ami. That thing looks ****** off!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be too, if my 'maker' had made me look like that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

aeronca65t
08-22-2004, 08:32 AM
I drive a Chevy StepVan, so I guess I'm no authority on "style"....anyway.
I always thought that the Datsun F10 was horrid. We had one as an ice racer and I recall that we cheered when one of the guys rolled it.
https://www.ratdat.com/history/1973to1982/images/1974_f10.jpg

The old Toyota Corona (the one that looked like an electric shaver in the front) was no beauty either. Wish I could have found a front-end shot of it.

https://www.adclassix.com/images68toyotacorona.jpg

Basil
08-22-2004, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That thing is so ugly its cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Bruce Bowker
08-22-2004, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That thing is so ugly its cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it. I thought it was cute in some way also.
I must have a warped sense of cars because I don't find half of what is said here as ugly. Not all as pretty as others, but ugly is a really strong word.

Steve_S
08-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Aeronca, like this one?

https://www.bilavefur.com/myndasafn/1966%20Toyota%20Corona%20Sports%20Sedan-bw=mx=.jpg

78Z
08-22-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you are ready to see the rear end!

https://grumlt.citrina.lt/autos/Ami/1967_Citroen_Ami_6_berline.jpg

Steve_S
08-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Take the trunk lid off and you'd have one of those new-fangled ultra-short bed 4-door pickup trucks everyone's buying. Only uglier.

aeronca65t
08-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Aeronca, like this one?....

Ouch, Steve! My eyes!

And I had forgotten that the Ami 6 had that funny slanted rear glass like the old English Fords (and American Mercurys). Dreadful!
Still, (and this is just my opinion) I'll take a small "ugly" car anyday in preference to the various "road-beasts" that are used as passenger vehicles on many American highways.

coldplugs
08-23-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... I'll take a small "ugly" car anyday in preference to the various "road-beasts" that are used as passenger vehicles on many American highways.

[/ QUOTE ]

So will I.

Also - think about it - would road rage be such an issue if we had nothing but cars that looked like this and had names like "Ami".

[I can't believe I'm defending it...]

Steve
08-23-2004, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... I'll take a small "ugly" car anyday in preference to the various "road-beasts" that are used as passenger vehicles on many American highways.

[/ QUOTE ]

So will I.

Also - think about it - would road rage be such an issue if we had nothing but cars that looked like this and had names like "Ami".

[I can't believe I'm defending it...]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. Wise comments there John. There would certainly be no road rage........we'd all be too busy laughing!

Steve_S
08-23-2004, 04:56 PM
Or vomiting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Xracer
08-24-2004, 11:09 AM
My choices:

#4...Butt Ugly...AMC Pacer

#3...Gag a maggot Ugly...Daimler Fart...errr...Dart.

#2...Make a buzzard puke Ugly...Renault Ami

And the Winner!

#1...Uglier than a sackfull of a$$holes...the one and only Pontiac Aztec! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

jayhawk
08-24-2004, 11:32 AM
You guys could have come up with a much better list than the one on the website.. How about adding the Yugo, the original (especially lime green) honda hybrid, Trabant.

Pete

DanZ
08-26-2004, 01:25 PM
By far, the 1957 Mercury needs to be on the list.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

https://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/merc5703.htm

huck6
08-26-2004, 01:40 PM
How about the mid-eighties Pontiac LeMans? Looked like the ancestor to the Aztec!

Super 7
08-26-2004, 06:57 PM
I had a '57 Mercury. It was ugly indeed. Thats why I bought it, a black and whith 4 door that looked like Broderick Crawford should be at the wheel.

I can't tell one year Fiesta from another, although I thought they were sold in the US in '78, '79, and '80. I always thought that they were cuter than a Rabbit though. They were also the hot car in SCCA Showroom Stock Sedan racing for a time which gives them considerable style points in my book.

Eric
08-27-2004, 03:55 PM
How about current stuff? The Pontiac Aztek, the Cheyy Avalanche, Honda Elephant - er, Element, any Hummer and I'll second the vote for the Monte Carlo.

huck6
08-30-2004, 12:39 PM
I'd love to pick up a used Fiesta, but there seem to be few available in decent condition.

Here's another, Scion xB. Pretty much a dorm room on wheels. But, at least its different.