PDA

View Full Version : "Performance" Tires

amphibispridget
08-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Does anyone know of a good semi-performance tire that will fit stock Midget wire wheels (4x13)? All I can find a good all-season touring tires. Since I don't plan on driving in any rain or snow (I'm not THAT hardcore...), I don't really need all-season tires. I'm not looking for crazy high-end sports car tires, either. Just something somewhat "performance" oriented.

aeronca65t
08-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Sumitomo HTR series. Cheap and decent. I used the 175/50-13 on my steel wheel street car. Wire wheels are much harder to mount without rim damage and the 50 series aspect ratio will make mounting tougher. I'd use the 175/70-13 size for your wire wheels.
Probably the best tires, performance-wise for a Spridget would be the Kumho Ecsta V700 or the Yokohama 032. I use both on my racer. These are DOT legal race tires and are about 3 times the cost of the Sumis with a much shorter tread life.

Link:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Sumitomo&model=HTR+200

Trevor Jessie
08-11-2004, 04:26 PM
I've seen 175/70 on wire wheels (Mize Leezer's Car-if you know him), and they looked too wide in my opinion. A 175/50 might look better, but the short side wall would be difficult to mount. The 175/50 is much smaller radius than the stock 145, so you will have higher rpms for equivalent speed. My pick is going to be the yokohama Y379 165/70. However, for street use on an unmodified car I would just look for something in the size you want that is round. ;-)