PDA

View Full Version : rust repair on my 8

PATR8
04-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Well I have the interior torn out of my 8 and repari panels ready to replace and I have sat looking at it for the past month waiting to get the nerve to start cutting... but I chickened out and took it to a local classic car repair guy who is going to do it for me. He had a customer back out for Monday so he thinks he can have it done in a day. He is going to re-enforce the mounting point some for me and shorten the throw of my shifter some.

I will show some before and after pics when I get it back and try to get some pics of other cars he is working on. He is working on several 34 Fords (all for the same guy) and a model A I beleive. My 8 really is out of place there but the owner says his restoration business is down 50% this year and the general car (metal) repair is up 100%.

He stated he has done more general repair this year and he feels it is people afraid of the economy and just not spending on their classics. I guess that is a good economy indicator

CuriousGeorge
04-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Have any 'before' pics?

tdskip
04-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Hey, ultimately who cars who does the work as long as it gets done and gets done right.

The local Brit car shops down here are hurting as well, hard to see, and I worry that we're losing a base of skills during the downturn.

Anyway, back to your TR8. Sounds like she should be ready to be reassembled soon, yes?

PATR8
04-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I am hoping so. Today was so nice, 87 degrees and probably 5 more days of this weather. I'd like to start to look for new tires (not due to tread wear but age).

The guy doing my work says he (he has been doing this for 30+ years) remembers it being like this in the early 80s. He says the crisis will occur when the government starts trying to crush old cars in exchange for tax credits and to encourage new car purchases. He says the German's are doing this alrady