PDA

View Full Version : Semi-sealed bearings

Michael Oritt
04-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Does anyone use semi-sealed outer bearings in the Winner's Circle DB hubs? Am I correct that the sealed side should face inboard and the open side should face outboard?

ChrisS
04-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Yes if you want the bearing to be lubed by the oil in the axle housing, no if you pack it with grease. Either way you will need to pack your inner baring with grease. I used sealed outer bearings and packed inner bearings with a seal inside the axle housing that seals on the axle shafts. This keeps any oil out of the hub area.

Michael Oritt
04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Chris--

Do you have any photos of the lip seal installation inside the axle tube that you describe on your webpage? It sounds interesting though I am having a bit of a problem visualizing the installation. How has it worked out?

ChrisS
04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Sorry fro the delay. I don't have any picks because I can't get a camera in there. I've run this way for three seasons and have not had a drop of oil on my shoes.

As for installation - the seal sits inside the axle tube at the end where the spindle is welded on. It isn't a machined surface so you have to play around with different OD seals to get it to stay in there but not be crushed. I run the level low in the differential so the seal only needs to keep the splashed oil out.

ChrisS
04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Michael,

Attached is a rough sketch of where the seals are. This isn't an exact depiction of the rear but it should get the idea across. I push the seal in from the opposite side but you could pull it in with a piece of threaded rod. I push it so that I can seat the seal with a hammer blow to the rod I'm pushing it in with.

aeronca65t
04-22-2009, 09:22 AM
By the way, I had seen a setup where you dissassemble the rear and put in a seal that is midpoint on the axle.

This seal "wedges" in the tapererd area of the axle housing about mid-way from the diff to the hub.

The seal is a slightly tight fit over the axle. You are supposed to polish the axle for a good seal surface.

I guess the idea is to prevent gear oil from the diff from getting to the hubs (you have to grease the wheel bearings on a regular basis).

I have this setup in my car for the last two years and it really didn't help much.

I just fitted new regular seals to my rear hubs...hope that helps.

Michael Oritt
04-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks Chris and that drawing along with your PM makes it all clear.

I just finished installing a sleeve on the leaky right stub axle along with a new inner seal and sealed outer bearing in that hub. Let's see if that has the desired affect before bringing in the heavy guns.

Hap Waldrop
04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
what we always did was add 3 more countersunk screw drilling and tapping on the DB hubs, used the open bearing on both sides, make sure when pulled the axle, we got everyhting clean and dry, used permatex ultimate black RTV, no gasket but thew o-ring, let the silicone cure before rear dope was put back in the housing, always worked like champ. The problem with greasing the bearing, a seal bearing is out of the question becuse only one side is available in a sealed bearing, so you constantly going back inthere and greasing the bearing. I used to have switch diffs a good bit for tracks, so i'm guessing I've probably done this job a 100 times in my life, I've tried evertything. Also alot of folk tend to over fill thier housings, you should fill alevel housing until you can just get gear oil on your pinky, never let it fill enough to run back out the fill hole.