PDA

View Full Version : New race engine pictures

VelodromeRacer
04-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Here are a few pictures of my new 1275 race engine for the Bugeye. Cam, Tilton flywheel/clutch, 1.5 inch modified SU's, Had a Avonbar head-reworked, Intake..and everything has been balanced. Tucker at Autosport in Bloomington did the work. I hope that when the economy turns around to get the 948 off to Hap for a rework as I want to run it as well.

We install the engine this Friday and next week, I am off to a track day to tune her and shake her down before my first event of the year with VSCDA at Gingerman. Man, I am looking foreward to Mid-Ohio and Road America this year!

I run 4:22 gears and a Taylor race box and Superlite wheels...(Thanks Hap!) but I figure for Road America I will put my 3:9 gears in the rear.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3644/3424653958_0634d6529d.jpg?v=0

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3435/3227226582_8c7317d784_m.jpg

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/3227227428_0c2f014ca2_m.jpg

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/3226374149_12b27b8022.jpg?v=0

Come on warm weather...

Velo.

Hedgehog
04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Velo, looking good. Are you planning on running VSCDA at RA and Blackhawk? If so, I'll try to stop by and say hello. I always ran a 4.22 at RA in the 948 HP Sprite with webster box and a redline of 8500. A 4.22 with the 1275 Full prep FP Sprite (8500 redline) with SC/CR box and a 3.9 with the 1275 limited prep HP setup (7500 redline). Run the 3.9 to keep the revs down, motors are expensive and RA is lllooonnnngggg!

VelodromeRacer
04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey Hedgehog,
Thanks! Yes, I will run all the VSCDA events and SVRA at Mid-Ohio, and the Kohler race at RA in July. I will also hit the VSCDA ELF at RA in September again! Stop by...At Blackhawk, I pit outside of turn 4 and camp there as well...I'll buy the first round! I ran my 948 to 8,000 at Hallett in the fall...now the new 1275 will probably keep to 7,200. I think the 3.8 for RA would work with those long straights...What will you bring to race the Mini?

Michael Oritt
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Hopefully I will see you at the SVRA Mid-Ohio event. That will be my first time there and I wonder if someone can give me a recommendation re final drive ratio relative to Summit Point or VIR?

aeronca65t
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Wow! Nice motor!

I too am building a new 1275 (for my racing Teapot), but for this year, it'll be an all-stock (and non-balanced) rebuild. I'll be happy with 65 HP and a redline of 6300.
I don't want my Austin to be too undignified. :jester:

Once the A35 is fully sorted out, I'll go back and try to build something more like your's.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Now</span> I have something to aspire to.

Michael: I have never driven at Mid-Ohio either, but when I looked at it, it seems a "mix" of fast and slow. If they use the long course (with the Turn 3 kink between two straights), you'll probably need the 3.9.....but that's just my guess).

~Here's~ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnhFkjKtdc) a little discussion of the place by Hurley Haywood.

VelodromeRacer
04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I drove the track with SVRA last year..although in some rain! I had the 4:22 gears and a high HP 948 engine and hit my self imposed rev limit at that time of 7000 rpm a bunch on the long, downhill backstraight!

This year, with the 1275 and more RPM, I will still run the 4:22. Go to youtube and look for my videos under velodrome...I have 2 or 3 from Mid-Ohio,

Thanks for the compliments...I will post more pictures when we get it installed. Perhaps even a video from the test in a week. I could not have brought this race car without all the help from the people on this forum!

Velo

Hedgehog
04-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Velo, due to life and 2 kids in college it's not looking like the Mini will hit the track this year. I've still got a considerable amount of work/fab to do. Engine is built, dogbox trans is about ready to go together, but tons of body and suspension work to do yet.

Your benefit in this is when I don't have a car to race, I work corners so you can. I'll definitely be at the Kohler weekend at RA and the VSCDA vintage festival weekend at Blackhawk. You can buy the first one. I'll bring some Spotted Cow and Leinie's for you.

VelodromeRacer
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
You are on!

Thanks for working corners too!

Velo

Hap Waldrop
04-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Doug, a 4.22 with the 1275 will be the right gear for MO. You're going to love the 1275, the torque increase is what you'll love the most over the 948. After year of racing a MGB and Spridgets with 1275s, the first time I drove a race prepared 948, mind this was Huffaker dry sump 948, with the best of the best stuff in it, like a $13K engine, my first impression was why the heck would anybody spend so much money on something for so little return, that thing had the torque of wet noodle :smile:

Hey is that flywheel, the Huffaker/Tilton steel unit I told you guys about.

VelodromeRacer
04-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Hap..Yes that is the unit..nice huh?

Here are a few more pictures as we have the engine in the car. Final touches tomorrow!

Engine photo1 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18198464@N04/3430556106/)

photo2 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/18198464@N04/3429743939/)

DART
04-10-2009, 11:20 PM
VERY NICE!!!

paulgraham
05-01-2009, 06:03 PM
beautiful photos velodrome. how did it all turn out?

Michael Oritt
05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Hap--

I plan to run the SVRA event at Mid-Ohio this June. I have never been there before and wonder about gearing. Can you compare gearing what you would use at VIR so I can have a point of comparison?

racingenglishcars
05-02-2009, 08:33 AM
It looks like a Marina block.

Hap Waldrop
05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Hap--

I plan to run the SVRA event at Mid-Ohio this June. I have never been there before and wonder about gearing. Can you compare gearing what you would use at VIR so I can have a point of comparison?

Well I don't know if it will be of help to you, since I was drivng a 1275 Midget, but I know your car has the same basic rear end, but the B series motor, I ran 3.9s at VIR and 4.22 at MO. You'll like MO, it's interesting track, lot of combination corners, not a lot of high percentage passing zones (basicly the ends of the two long straights), but a real interesting track.

Michael Oritt
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Hap--

That is most helpful and since I run a 4.2 at VIr I will try a 4.6 at MO.

I'm planning to be at the Gold Cups--perhaps I will see you there.

Deluxetuck
05-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Michael,
I ran my Elva Courier there last year with a 4.22.-1 and it was way to low. This year I will run my 3.9. The straightaway is downhill, so you gain momentum rather quickly. Send me an email if I can help you some more.
Tucker

Michael Oritt
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi Tucker--

What tires were you using? I have 15" wheels and use 500-15 Dunlop 204's with a diameter of around 26".

A 4.2 works for me on courses with fairly long straights such as VIR, Sebring, Summit Point, etc. I tried a 3.9 at Sebring once and never got up near top revs.

I look forward to seeing you at MO.

Deluxetuck
05-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Michael,
I just went to my trailer and measured my wheel tire combo. I'm running 13"X6" Super Lites, a Panosonic light weight copy with Hoosier Street TD's (?). The overall diameter is 22 1/2". I can see where your 4.22 would be a tall gear, probably right for MO. There were Centerlines on the car when I bought it and I kept the same size so I wouldn't have to change all of the suspension components. I hope I can get the car done in time, which right now looks close. I'm still waiting on the machinist to get my block done. I've got my fingers crossed. Be in touch.
Tucker

Michael Oritt
05-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Tucker--

Based on what Hap said I figured a 4.5 would be right for my car at MO. In any case I hope you make good progress.

Hap Waldrop
05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
To confuse things even more :smile: I ran the 4.22 on the SCCA Spridget, so that was on 20.0" slicks, and that would make me turning about 8000-8100 rpm at the braking point on th back straight.

dougie
05-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Four-Bangers are fine, but how about something with a little more grunt. I just installed my newly completed Austin-Healey 6-cylinder race motor in the '57 100-6 MM. Break-in and dyno to follow then GRL's Wine Country Classic at Infineon Raceway Sonoma, CA 5/29-5/31.

Dougie

Deluxetuck
05-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Nice job on the Healey engine, very complete and very tidy, the way it should be. I like the addition of the second rear side pan cover with the vent tube in the middle position.
Tucker

dougie
05-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Nice job on the Healey engine, very complete and very tidy, the way it should be. I like the addition of the second rear side pan cover with the vent tube in the middle position.
Tucker

Thanks -

With larger valves, flowed head, HD springs, etc., etc. the big dog really needs to breath well.

Michael Oritt
05-16-2009, 08:59 PM
That is downright pretty!

Genos2
05-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Sweet! Is that aftermarket tri-power? What kind of adjusters on the rockers are those? Are those HD8's? I've got a stock tri-power manifolds off a '62 BN7 that I had welded in on the sides&amp; bored out to 2". I'm going to put them on my '63 BJ7,it's got 3/4 race cam &amp; other mods.I've got 3 HD8's for it. Don't think I'll have to do much w/tuning-metering needles.cheers Genos2

dougie
05-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Geno,

It's good to hear from someone in the NW. I was planning on racing this weekend in SOVREN's Spring Sprints in Kent, but delays in breaking in my motor caused too many delays. I'm running a period "Ruddspeed" hi-Performance tri-carb manifold with 3 performance tuned 2" SU HD8 carbs. Roller rockers are illegal in SOVREN's vintage class so I had a set of stock rockers rebuilt, balance, polished, lighten, and now provide a true 1.50:1 ratio. There's a whole lot more to this motor build, but the goal was performance without sacrificing reliability.

Dougie

Genos2
05-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Whats "Sovern's class?My co-workers are down in Oregon at "Oregon Trails" Rally. They should be having a great time.Like to see you&amp; car if up this way sometime,PM me or I'm in T-town phone book. Geno

dougie
05-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Geno,

Though my car is "street legal" I trailer it to most of the out of town race tracks. SOVREN is the vintage racing club here in the NW, https://www.sovren.org/Page_5.html. (https://www.sovren.org/Page_5.html) Unlike SCCA vintage racing, SOVREN is much more strict on how your car is race prepared. The goal is to have safe race car that is period correct for the years it was raced "back in the day". This usually means any performance modifications or upgrades can only be utilized if they were available for you car in the years it raced.

Of course everyone pushes the boundaries (cheats) on occasions but it's frowned on pretty heavily in the Group 1 Vintage grid I race in. The V-8 guys seem to be the worst offenders............................go figure.

I've been a spectator at the Oregon Trail Trails Rally a few times, those guys are really NUTS.

Dougie

DART
05-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Looks like you did well last year in the points. I'm confused tho, about the classes. Website seems to indicate by year, but with a '57 you seem to be running against much newer cars. ?????

dougie
05-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Looks like you did well last year in the points. I'm confused tho, about the classes. Website seems to indicate by year, but with a '57 you seem to be running against much newer cars. ?????

Ya, good question I've tried to get a clear answer on that as well. From what I can understand because I prepared my car under the Europe FIA regulations for Group 2 SOVREN calculates my points with the SOVREN group 2 grid not the group 1 which I race in. I still don't quite understand this, had my points total been measured against the group I race with I think I would have finish in the top 5 overall........................race politics.

Dougie

billspohn
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Looks very nice, Dougie.

Are you coming up to Mission for the July races?

Hap Waldrop
05-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Nah, I stay with the Spridgets, most g forces for the money, until you get to Formula car :smile: All jokes aside, it all about the corner speeds for me, I used to race bigger cars, when back to what wnet the fastest in the corners. Nothing better than tossing a Midget into a corner 20 mph fast than anything else dares to goes, with the rear end stepped a bit, a little counter lock steering with a controlable drift working for ya, can't imagine it until you've experienced it.
That's a neat race car no doubt, but I would n't take a dozen of them if I told I could never race a Spridget again. This is coming form a man who sold a factory race car to go Spridget racing. MGB, Big Healelys, Jags, all nice car, but I take my little Spridget and 1.8 Gs all day long.

dougie
05-23-2009, 04:47 PM
HAP,

That's what so great about vintage racing, there's a class for everyone. I ran sprites/midgets 20 years ago and really loved them for the exact reasons you described, if I had more time (cash) I would probably run both. What I missed with the smaller displacement car was the low end torque and the grunt of big 6-cylinder. I think for me it might be a little bit of "been here done that", plus I do enjoy being one of the only big Healey's at most of the races I'm at. They're also not an easy car to drive fast and as you know there's not anywhere near the "speed shops" and tuning parts available for the them. When you're able to get everything right with them both in the garage and on the track I find it much more personally gratifying.

Dougie