PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Timing my TR8

SCguy
04-07-2009, 09:23 AM
A while back I mentioned that I need to set my timing to pass California smog. Does anyone have suggestion on where to connect the timing light with the battery in the rear of the car. The car need to be timed to TDC. I'm just a little unsure of myself.

Mickey Richaud
04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Hey, Larry -

That boot-mounted battery does present a problem, doesn't it?

I have a battery charger that I set on low-amp output and use that as the power source.

Mickey

tr8todd
04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
On some cars, there is a terminal on the fire wall where the battery cable passes thru it. On others, you can attach to the terminal on the starter or the alternator. You can also use a set of jumper cables from the battery to the timing light. I like to install a small fuse panel similar to a MGB fuse box behind the passenger headlight. It has constant and switched power there. From that panel, I can draw my power for things like electric fans and relays, or use it to attach a timing light. Makes working on and modifying TR8s a little cleaner and easier.

WedgeWorks
04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
A simple way is to use the positive side of the coil. I did this on my MGs and TR8s.

TheWedgeshop
04-08-2009, 09:36 AM
If it has a 4-barrel I get from the choke hot lead, If its stock I get it from the solenoid wire on the back of the manifold.

Thanks
TheWedgeshop.com