PDA

View Full Version : Dual SU Rebuild

kawazar
08-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Can anyone recommend someone to rebuild my twin SU setup for a Midget 1500? I can't find anyone locally but have received one quote from someone I found online for $350! Is that expensive? The car now has a Weber downdraft. I will probably have to sell that just to pay for the rebuild.

Trevor Jessie
08-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Was that quote from Joe Curto? I'm told that he is the guru of SU's in the NorthEast. I rebuilt my own after researching the subject. Mine did not require rebushing for the throttle shafts. They have been on the car all summer, and they are working wonderfully (much better than before). I think I paid about $80 for the rebuild kits and needles.

kawazar
08-01-2004, 01:28 PM
No it wasn't. It was from someone named Jeff. I deleted the email so I have no other info. He didn't look at the carbs so maybe he quoted me worst case scenero. Also, where can I get the rebuild kits? Moss I'm assuming?

Trevor Jessie
08-01-2004, 01:48 PM
First here is some info on Joe:
https://www.geocities.com/jcurtoinc/

Rebuild kits are available from Moss, and any Moss reseller. New sets of carbs can be bought for about $400, but a professional rebuild will be as good as new. If the carb bodies need rebushing, then you should probably have it done by someone like Joe. He could rebush the bodies and you can finish the rebuild on your own.

George Zeck
08-05-2004, 01:31 PM
I just went through the process last winter. Since there were 2 units -- I felt I could "copy" off the other and did. Had good success. I ended up buying the parts from a Moss Dist and re-assembled with patience and care. Rough costs were ~ $125 for the rebuild.

On a side note -- I found via Hemmings -- a supplier who specializes in such items; applehydraulics.com. I ended up buying a brake / clutch master cyl (rebuilt) and my experience has been very positive with them (despite some negative commentary from some BCFer's). I noticed that you could buy an entire new (rebuilt) set for about the cost you were mentioning. They do have other options depending on the condition of your units that you might want to explore as another alternative.

The hardest thing was tuning the units afterwards -- had help form a friend whith many more years of experience than I do. Wasn't that hard (for him).

In short -- if you have the resources on tuning (which you probably have to do with a re-build anyways) -- I'd rebuilt myself and use the other money for, what else -- other parts. Good luck.

kawazar
08-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I might just keep the Weber for now and tackle the SU's later. I never considered the tuning issue.