PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing new top on 100-4 BN1



bighealeysource
03-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey all 100-4 friends,
I am going to install a new top on my BN1 - it's from AH Spares
in England - and a couple of questions. It has a separate
piece that goes along the face of the top rail that finishes
off and hides the gray metal frame. Is it glued onto the face
somehow along with being tacked on under the top fabric ?
Does anyone have any pictures of their top installed that
you could send me at : harborislander@aol.com

Anders Clausager's book has a couple of good pictures but
would love to see some close ups of the detail if anyone
has something they can send.

Thanks,
Mike

oslo100
04-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi Mike, I am doing the same thing this spring (also ahspares, their mohair type) and remembered this link and the links this page refers to:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u..._a_1#Post397985 (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/397985/Searchpage/8/Main/40698/Words/soft+top+installation/Search/true/Re_Installing_a_New_Top_on_a_1#Post397985)
Hope this is helpful, I look forward to hear about/see the result.

Georg

Michael Oritt
04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Mike--

I did this job several years back and as I remember this is what I did:

I glued/wrapped the small piece of trim around the header bar starting around 12:00 o'clock so that when the top was later affixed it would conceal the point of attachment, then ran it (the small piece) under the bar and trimmed it so that the material edges butted up. Then I installed the top itself, first fixing the back edge along the deck so that the top best fit the bows. Finally I fit the top to the front of the header bar, pulling and tacking from center to left and right corners, locating the tacks so that the "hide'm strip" would cover them, then put on the strip.

It was not an easy job and I did it with another person. It helps to do it on a warm sunny day so the material becomes flexible.

bighealeysource
04-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Hey Y'all,
Thanks for the help and the link from Georg was great. Sure miss Dave Russell
as a lot in the link was from him - really made me stop and think about him
and how much we all miss him and his help ! I'll get back on this topic when
I finish which might be today.
Regards,
Mike

bighealeysource
04-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey,
Got that top done and if I could figure out how to post pictures I would
but obviously I have not figured that out ! Anyway, followed the advice of
everyone that was kind enough to weigh in on the subject. I did the front
top bow a little differently and it worked out real well. Got the back
attached with the flat bar through the rear of the top, centered correct
and then went to work on the front. Experimented with starting in the middle
and pulling on the fabric but ended up pulling both corners to fit properly
so the latches would have enough material to cover the holes for the latches
and be pulled forward enough towards the windshield posts. Attached one corner,
then got the second corner attached and then worked towards the middle. Got it
tacked in nicely and then put on the hidem strip and we were good to go.
Regards,
Mike