PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining the TR Mark

KVH
03-28-2009, 11:21 AM
I often question what others do with parts they've replaced, like old TR solid wheels, used brake calipers, worn timing covers, leaking gas tanks, worn rear brake drums, replaced rear lever shocks, old seat frames, etc.

I can't imagine tossing them out. The lever shocks, for example, could have been traded for a core credit if I'd been thinking.

And a good welder can fix a timing cover, and there are products for pin holes in gas tanks (if that makes one comfortable).

Other than the hassle of boxing and shipping, I guess that's what Ebay is all about.

TR4nut
03-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm a packrat by nature, and I've saved exactly the parts you describe. But it has gotten to a point that I am in housecleaning mode. I cannot crush any of it, so it helps to chat with local club members for potential cash free exchanges, and ebay of course - nothing wrong with ebay, in my opinion - it keeps collector parts circulating and for every ripoff I've received, I've also received 10-20 times of good quality items at lower cost than new.

vagt6
03-28-2009, 12:42 PM
I sold probably a pickup truck load of Spitfire and GT6 parts on EBay a few years ago. Most of it was totally broken and useless.

Amazing what folks will pay for some of the junk that comes off these old cars. I made about $1200 on stuff I was literally ready to take to the city dump.

One man's trash, another man's treasure. :yesnod:

martx-5
03-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I got alot of stuff accumulated. Most of it is body parts for a TR3. I put a different body on the car, so I have wings, bonnets, windscreen stancions, headlight assemblies and a mess of other stuff for the pre 60k cars, as the body I put on is post 60K. I thought it would be a pretty easy swap, but it turned out that there were an awful lot of chages at 60k+. I also have alot of parts left over from the numerous mods I made. Steering column, brake calipers, transmission, wire wheels and adaptors. Since none of the mods (except for the engine) are permanent, I'll keep those.

Then there is the pile of stuff I bought <span style="font-weight: bold">twice.</span> Yes, as I was putting things together, I'd buy stuff, only to realize I already bought it! :eeek: That's when I made a log of what was on hand for easy reference. That stuff will go up on e-bay along with whatever someone will take of those body parts.

angelfj1
03-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm a packrat by nature, and I've saved exactly the parts you describe. But it has gotten to a point that I am in housecleaning mode. I cannot crush any of it, so it helps to chat with local club members for potential cash free exchanges, and ebay of course - nothing wrong with ebay, in my opinion - it keeps collector parts circulating and for every ripoff I've received, I've also received 10-20 times of good quality items at lower cost than new.

Actually, what Randy is trying to say is that "the boss" has issued an ultimatum. Either clear out some of this stuff or else. :lol:

Moseso
03-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Then there is the pile of stuff I bought <span style="font-weight: bold">twice.</span> Yes, as I was putting things together, I'd buy stuff, only to realize I already bought it! :eeek:
Uh huh... So, I'm not the only fool on the board who has done that... :blush:

Tinkerman
03-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Then there is the pile of stuff I bought <span style="font-weight: bold">twice.</span> Yes, as I was putting things together, I'd buy stuff, only to realize I already bought it! :eeek:
Uh huh... So, I'm not the only fool on the board who has done that... :blush:

No your not!

Tinkerman

Moseso
03-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Man!!! We should all get together on this. I'll bet that, between all the people who post here, we've got a whole dang spare car laying around in pieces, scattered across the U.S. Maybe TWO!

Let's all meet in the middle somewhere, and assemble it!

:jester:

Geo Hahn
03-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Maintaining the TR Mark

Mark -- it's spelled M-a-r-q-u-e.

Actually, I think it would be pretty cool if you started spelling your name 'Marque'.

Yes, we never want to throw anything away. As explained by Aldo Leopold (referring to nature, species, etc): "The first rule of tinkering is to save all the parts".

But I don't think I have to tell you that, as I recall you have a full set of TR4A wings laying around in the garage.

KVH
03-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Reminds of losing a spelling bee by proudly spelling "gnat" with a "K." The one word I'm always forced to check before spelling is "intelligence." I don't want too many dead give-aways.

Tomster
03-30-2009, 02:17 PM
But it looks soooo very french with dat "que"