PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 wiper cable and greasing it

hondo402000
03-28-2009, 08:08 AM
has anyone greased the wiper cable in their tr6 an does the cable come out with out getting under the dash andtaking the wheel boxes apart, not that I drive in the rain going to the bently manual as I post this

hondo

hondo402000
03-28-2009, 08:16 AM
so I was thinking if I take the wipers off can I pull the cable out and will the wiper shafts just keep going round and round till the cable comes out? it just looks like a gear in the wheel box housing and doesnt appear to have a stop

maybe I will try it and see if it works

TR3driver
03-28-2009, 09:44 AM
That's the way it's supposed to work. You may not even need to remove the wiper arms, if they are the kind that will lift to straight out. The cable just pulls out while the wiper boxes go round and round.

hondo402000
03-28-2009, 11:41 AM
well got the cable out, took the wiper unit apart to regrease and PO has a nylon cable tie holding the plastic connector to the housing, the plastic connector has the automatic cut off switch, I figured there must be some type of clip that held it on the metal housing but I cant see what is broken off so I guess I will have to go back to a nylon tie. but so far so goood

BobbyD
03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Hondo.....I'm not sure what clips you're looking for but here's a picture of my wiper motor opened up before I removed, greased and painted it. I've got a few more pictures if you think they will help.

https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/ForumImages/WiperOpened.jpg

hondo402000
03-28-2009, 01:24 PM
underneat the housing where the wiring harness attaches to the unit is a plastic part that the harness plugs into that is what is loose but I got it covered would attach pics but I dont see an attachement button, but got the unit regreased and back in this pic is just of the gear housing after cleaning the grease out

martx-5
03-28-2009, 01:39 PM
...would attach pics but I dont see an attachement button, ...

When you make a post, at the bottom is something called the "File Manager". Click on that, and you can attach pics. Watch out for the size, as there is a limit. I usually make them 500x375.

hondo402000
03-28-2009, 01:51 PM
this is the piece I was refering to

hondo402000
03-28-2009, 02:07 PM
and windows xp you can resize photos but so far in vista there is no such program as I can find so I had to crank up my XP computer

BobbyD
03-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't have any pictures showing that but I can tell you that my motor didn't have that dark gray stuff around the base of the plastic plug. It almost looks like J-B Weld.

hondo402000
03-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Bobby
I put that black stuff between the plastic electrical housing and the metal base to keep moisture out of the gear housing, its NAPA non hardening sealer and the wire is coat hanger wire bent as a clip to hold the plastic housing in place, I drilled 2 holes opposite each other in the cast web for the attachement holes thats the best I could do,

TR3driver
03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
and windows xp you can resize photos but so far in vista there is no such program as I can find so I had to crank up my XP computer Download IrfanView (which is freeware). https://www.irfanview.com/ It runs on Vista, and has all sorts of options for resizing. Not quite as seamless as the functions built into XP, but works quite well once you learn to use it.