PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Picture Request - Late Spitfire Hardtop Seals

dklawson
03-26-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm working on restoring a hardtop for the later Spitfires. I got my box of new seals from Spitbits the other day. The door glass to hardtop seal looks very alien to me and look nothing like what I was expecting.

These new seals have the dovetail foot to slide into the track on the hardtop, but they are "L" shaped and quite tall. Each leg of the "L" is perhaps 1-1/4" long. I was expecting a simple, shorter, straight piece without the "L" shape.

If any of you have recently purchased and fitted these seals to your hardtops I'd greatly appreciate a picture or two of how the door window seals are oriented and what they're supposed to look like.

Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the seal yet. For a rough reference, see this NON Triumph JPG
https://blufiles.storage.msn.com/y1pUpyvf...p_V3CS5rTEbHOCQ (https://blufiles.storage.msn.com/y1pUpyvfuzjrZOq0Ya4K3le3hRrW27IGM-1wm-pUJoroA7erQwh1fBRo3Cf0Tp-p_V3CS5rTEbHOCQ)

Imagine that part WITHOUT the plastic insert shown on the bottom left. Replace that plastic part with a molded on dovetail and make each leg of the "L" about 1-1/4" long. I'm trying to understand which direction each leg of the "L" should point. This is bulk material that is supposed to be cut to length, mitered at the corners, and glued together.

Thanks,
Doug L.

71MKIV
03-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Have mine all apart too. So I don't have any pictures.

I gotta go look again at the pieces.

dklawson
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi Steve, I got an off list reply from a member of the NASS Yahoo group about this. He's dealing with the same issue of how to cut and fit the new door window seals. He's tried miter cutting the corners and square cutting them and wasn't happy with either result. I'm going to probably try a miter cut and glue on the joint to hold them together... perhaps with a stitch or two of nylon thread on the back side.

Any pictures will be greatly appreciated. I don't need this to be perfect but I do want it to look at least sort of correct and be functional.

71MKIV
03-27-2009, 07:08 AM
IIRC mine are miter cut.

The "L" part on mine is pushed back by the window.

I'll see about pictures after I get home tonight.